Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965

Article about: Over a period of several day's, the Warsaw Pact armies held a huge military exercise in the Thuringia area of East Germany. Accounts differ to the actual length of the exercise, but quoted d

Default Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965

Over a period of several day's, the Warsaw Pact armies held a huge military exercise in the Thuringia area of East Germany. Accounts differ to the actual length of the exercise, but quoted dates are for between 16th and 24th October. More than 60,000 troops from USSR, Czech Republic, Poland, and Eastern Germany were involved, and at the time it was claimed to have been the biggest military manoeuvre ever carried out in German history. The slogan for the exercise was: 'What our hands create, we protect together with our weapons.'

The Czechs and Poles refused to allow manoeuvres involving East German soldiers being held on their soil because of the likeness of the NVA uniforms to those worn by the German army of WW2. Apparently the very thought of German tanks once again rolling over their territory was considered by many to be a step too far, and this was one of the main reasons why the army of the GDR rarely stepped outside their borders.

There was also trouble when it came to the choice of overall commander of the exercise, the East Germans being furious at the very idea of their troops being commanded by a USSR general. But as always, compromises were made and the exercise went ahead.

Just recently I came by a photo album which is in effect a record of that military exercise, it is packed with both official and private photographs, numerous newspaper cuttings and other ephemera. All the titles on the pages are cut out from thick card... a bit like decoupage. The album was probably put together by a serving officer, and virtually all the content is about the military exercise. There are just a few photographs and other items from the 1970's.

Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965

At Sachsenhausen concentration camp, soldiers were mobbed by crowds of 'Young Pioneers' who draped their blue neck-ties around the necks of the soldiers - stripping them of military insignia in the process. People reported that streets were almost impassable due to all the military hardware. Click on images twice to enlarge.

Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965
    P
    Many

More pictures... Click on images twice to enlarge.

Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965Manoeuvre 'Oktobersturm' 1965

Very nice scrapbook! Some of the pictures, if you look quick, look almost like WW2.

Incredible look into past history.. It is amazing what is to be found still today..

This is a great inside look at our former adversary..

Smitty

?

Amazing! The album is packed with great photos, clippings etc. I definitely like this album. A great addition Steve.

Regards. Rik

?

I really like the ZSU-57-2 AA tank photos! As said before these are reminiscent of ww2 photos.

I wonder if the language barrier was a issue.

Fantastic Steve, you always seem to have a knack of sniffing out the interesting stuff.

I like those captions...:

"Trinkerfestpiele 1965" ["Boozer Pageants 1965"].
    "Saure Wochen - Frohe Feste" ["Sour Weeks - Merry Celebrations"]
    "Schluss Jetzt!" ["Enough already!"]

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Fantastic Steve, you always seem to have a knack of sniffing out the interesting stuff.
    I've always had a knack for sourcing interesting things Paul, probably down to pure luck more than anything... but apparently that was why I was given the name: 'Harry the Mole' when I was in the army!

Very nice pictures and „Album“! Me too! My father was a ZSU-57 Tank driver. I like this tank a lot

Kind regards
    Basti

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast