Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Markings in NVA Schiffchen

Article about: I have two NVA sidecaps which have some stamp markings foreign to me. These are the older style caps with the flaps. First, here is a woolen NVA sidecap for enlisted men with the markings: N

Default Markings in NVA Schiffchen

I have two NVA sidecaps which have some stamp markings foreign to me. These are the older style caps with the flaps.

First, here is a woolen NVA sidecap for enlisted men with the markings: NVA, factory number (1856) year number (71) and size number (57). But what does the number ''193'' indicate?

Next, an officer's gabardine sidecap with the markings for DDR (Possible MfS connection?), size number (58) factory number (1856). And then there are the numbers ''43970'' and ''39'' (inverted). What do these mean? Could the longer one be a TGL number?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Joel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Markings in NVA Schiffchen
    P
    Many

I can only speculate that the number may be a production run number, but '71' will not be the year of manufacture. Manufacture dates were printed in full up to 1967, and from 1968 onwards a latter date-code was introduced.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I can only speculate that the number may be a production run number, but '71' will not be the year of manufacture. Manufacture dates were printed in full up to 1967, and from 1968 onwards a latter date-code was introduced.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Thanks Steve. You are correct, it should not be the manufacture year. However I have seen year stamps go as high as 70 in some tunics, even though as you say, letters were introduced in 1968. So the old and new system seemed to run along each other for a few years.

Production run number would seem possible. Hard to think too many possibilities for it's purpose.

-Joel