Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Medaille für treue Dienste in der Nationalen Volksarmee 20 Jahre

Article about: Thought i would show my first set of DDR medals which came in the post today. This is the long service medal for 20 years service in the NVA/Army. I plan to collect the whole year series of

?

Default Medaille für treue Dienste in der Nationalen Volksarmee 20 Jahre

Thought i would show my first set of DDR medals which came in the post today. This is the long service medal for 20 years service in the NVA/Army. I plan to collect the whole year series of medals! But only tonight i learnt there is Grenztruppen equivalent but they are much more expensive!

The case it comes with is pretty lacklustre. I assume these plastic cases with foam were only meant to be throw away ones after the medal was awarded. None the less the medal is pretty nice looking.

Enjoy.

Medaille für treue Dienste in der Nationalen Volksarmee 20 JahreMedaille für treue Dienste in der Nationalen Volksarmee 20 Jahre

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medaille für treue Dienste in der Nationalen Volksarmee 20 Jahre
    P
    Many

?

Everything German is beautiful.

Nice medal, crappy case.

Quote by emo155 View Post
    Everything German is beautiful.
    You've obviously never seen a picture of Angela Merkel!

Jokes aside, this is a very beautiful medal Jb. Every bit as visually appealing as a Third Reich piece. Have said it before and I'll say it again; DDR is underrated as far as militaria goes!

Regards, B.B.

?

Yea it definitely is underrated. However that does mean i can pick up medals like these for £14!

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Yea it definitely is underrated. However that does mean i can pick up medals like these for £14!
    One of the benefits of collecting DDR. It'll appreciate with time, as all things do sooner or later.

B.B.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Nice medal, crappy case.
    Have to agree, the medal is beautiful but those cheap plastic cases and foam pads do not do them justice.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Nice medal, crappy case.
    I think that the 'crappy' cases started to appear in the mid 1960's. I have a '900' marked silver 'Treue Dienste' medal from circa 1964 which is also in a crappy plastic case, but at least they took the trouble to line it with a velvet covered hardboard block. My other set of medals 'Fur Hervorragende Verdienste' in bronze, silver, and gold tell a story of their own. All three were awarded to the same man. The bronze medal was awarded in 1963, and is in a velvet-type lined wooden case which is covered in faux crocodile skin. The silver medal was awarded in 1973, and is in a foam lined plastic case. The gold medal was awarded in 1977, and is in a velvet-type lined plastic case. How inappropriate that the lower grade of medal should be in the better case, certainly a pointer to the care to detail taken in the early 60's.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

Welcome to DDR medals and awards, have fun!