Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NVA uniform

Article about: I've recently decided to start collecting NVA related material, and one of my first purchases has been a uniform named to 'Oberfeldwebel W Meyer'. The cap, tunic, and boots all carry his nam

Default NVA uniform

I've recently decided to start collecting NVA related material, and one of my first purchases has been a uniform named to 'Oberfeldwebel W Meyer'. The cap, tunic, and boots all carry his name or initials, and although the breeches have no name - they are of the same date code for 1974 (11/O). The belt & holster seen in the picture have now been replaced with a brown holster & officer's brown leather belt. The shirt & tie are also NVA issue, but did not belong to Meyer. I was quite pleased with my handiwork when I dressed up a mannequin I obtained especially for the uniform, that is until my wife took one look and said that it looked like a transvestite...

NVA uniform

Discretion being the better part of valour, I grudgingly toned it down a bit and mounted it on another mannequin that I had to hand. Now headless and armless, it still looks OK.

NVA uniformNVA uniformNVA uniformNVA uniformNVA uniformNVA uniform

Another tunic I have since obtained is this black collared O/R's tunic from 1966

NVA uniformNVA uniformNVA uniform

More items to follow over the next few weeks...

Cheers,
    Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NVA uniform  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NVA uniform
    P
    Many

I've got to agree with your missus Steve as the first mannequin looks a bit camp, a very nice display though and the earlier black collared tunics are getting harder to find now.
    I've started to collect the NVA DDR stuff as TR pieces are getting way too expensive for my pocket. Welcome to the world of cheap collectables mate!...

There is another black collared tunic (major) on it's way to me. I've been scouring through the German eBay and picked up some real bargains over the last few weeks. Definitely far cheaper than TR, but the pre-1980 DDR uniforms still have that 'look' about them. Much smarter than the crap No 2's that we used to wear around that time!

Cheers,
    Steve.

The Complete Uniform set really does display well Steve and fits in nicely in your war room ,I am certain i have a very similar visor but would have to check on that to be certain ,DDR NVA militaria is nice area of collecting to get into so well done

Steve i found my officers peaked visor but notice it has the silver braided chinstrap ,the page from the East German paper was found tucked inside the liner band NVA uniformNVA uniformNVA uniform The chinstrap shown on your example looks to be identical to my late 1960's Grenztruppen Der DDR peaked visor

Default Caps

Thanks for posting the pictures James. I am new to the field of collecting DDR/NVA, but from what I have seen so far, the material used for the construction of peaked caps appear to closely match TR caps... woolen fabric construction for O/R's - as with the tunics, and for NCO's & Officers a gabardine material.

The cap of Oberfeldwebel Meyer has no celluloid diamond to assist in dating it, but I think it safe to assume that it probably dates from same time as the tunic and trousers (1974). Although the same gabardine material used on the officer's caps is used in the construction of Meyer's cap, the sweat band is of canvas whereas the officer's caps use leather.

The second set of photographs show an officer's cap from circa 1975. Again the celluloid is missing, but the newspaper used to shape the cap is dated 1975. The shape of this one is rather pleasing.

The third cap in my collection still has the celluloid, and this carries the date of 1969. There is some slight moth damage, but it is a nice reasonably early cap.

Is it just my computer, or has the picture uploading system been changed? Previously I could choose all the files I wanted before uploading on to the post, now it seems to be one at a time. Seems a lot slower somehow.

Cheers,
    Steve.

More items to follow... this is a group of three Urkunde & medals to the same officer. Will do a detailed description and photographs some time next week.

NVA uniform

Cheers,
    Steve

Great thread lads, I missed it originally but it's on my list now!

I am interested in the DDR kit because of the historical significance and because of my own close interaction with some of these blokes plus very close encounters with the regime as a whole. So, unlike some other periods of history this one is very much part of mine! Although, I can't deny that price does come into it

However, prices are rising steadily and the dealers are getting a bit ambitious so an "investigative mindset" is essential to take advantage of the bargains that are lurking in old attics and cellars, oops I may have said too much!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Fantastic collection mate, I recently bought an early complete M56 helmet, there is certainly a growing interest in this field & still fairly recent !
    Regards
    Paul

Quote by Watchdog View Post

However, prices are rising steadily and the dealers are getting a bit ambitious so an "investigative mindset" is essential to take advantage of the bargains that are lurking in old attics and cellars, oops I may have said too much!

Regards

Mark
    You are very right Mark, I've noticed that in the past couple of years, many sellers have been ''pushing their luck'' by trying to sell some DDR items with prices higher than usual! But as you say, there are still plenty of great deals for those who keep their eyes open..

-Joel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast