Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Some DDR DRK

Article about: Interestingly, they used the same basic color scheme as their TR brethren:

Default Some DDR DRK

Interestingly, they used the same basic color scheme as their TR brethren:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some DDR DRK  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Some DDR DRK
    P
    Many

RSW
    ?

Interesting how similar looking some of the DDR uniforms and insignia were to that of the Third Reich. Perhaps the DDR was attempting to harness the traditions of the (prior to the Nazi) state for their own use?

Excellent observation--this was very true of their Army & Airforce uniforms, which were very similar to TR patterns.
    The DDR took pride in claiming that they were being true to the traditions of the German army (more so the Reichswehr), as a direct contrast to the West German Army/Airforce, which were much more "Americanized".

TR DRK visor in the middle to contrast with the DDR visors:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some DDR DRK  

It's not that surprising, really, Grey had been the color of the German Red Cross' uniforms since before the Nazis took over. When the DRK was re-established, grey was once again adopted both in the FRG and the GDR.

In the FRG, the service uniform was initially of a dark charcoal grey, which was later replaced by a somewhat lighter shade (as seen below) that was retained into the mid-nineties, when a more civilian-looking service dress with dark blue suit coats and light-grey pants was introduced. (Of which I was not a fan, although it was admittedly more comfortable to wear than the old greys.)

If you think about it, grey is well-suited for an organisation whose fundamental core values include neutrality. Not black, not white: grey. (I don't know if that thought really had anything to do with chosing this color all those decades ago or if it has no deeper meaning beyond being a practical color.)

Some pieces of West German DRK kit, worn by yours truly some two decades ago:

Some DDR DRK

Some DDR DRK

Some DDR DRK

(Apologies for hijacking this thread.)
    Last edited by HPL2008; 04-21-2018 at 01:35 PM.