Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Stahlhelm model 1956

Article about: Just to show my East German M56 ...The shell shows a date of 1960 The DDR flag and banner are dated 1988 and 1981 respectively.. if i was of a younger generation i might of just simply used

Default Stahlhelm model 1956

Just to show my East German M56 ...The shell shows a date of 1960
    The DDR flag and banner are dated 1988 and 1981 respectively.. if i was of a younger generation i might of just simply used photoshop but i had to resort to good old fashion methods of using real materials for this display Stahlhelm model 1956Stahlhelm model 1956Stahlhelm model 1956Stahlhelm model 1956Stahlhelm model 1956Stahlhelm model 1956
    Last edited by James C; 08-25-2017 at 09:26 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stahlhelm model 1956
    P
    Many

A nice early model mate with an early net if i am not mistaken, i remember reading somewhere that the very first examples only had single point chinstraps but i have yet to see one!..

very nice... and here is my example... no visible date stamp though.

Stahlhelm model 1956Stahlhelm model 1956Stahlhelm model 1956Stahlhelm model 1956Stahlhelm model 1956

I hope you don't mind James, but I have attached a 'sellers' picture of my flag. It arrived yesterday from a second-hand (civilian) clothings dealer in Germany, and with him not being a militaria dealer, I paid peanuts for it - all embroidered too. It once hung in the party HQ in the village of Cobbelsdorf in Saxony. I'll get around to getting some decent pictures in the next few days

Stahlhelm model 1956

Thank you Paul ,I am not familiar with a two point chinstrap m56 but looking on the web see Brendon's helmet site has one ..I wonder just how rare this example is

Steve i don't mind at all you know that and am happy to see other similar examples for comparison and what a great example it is Very nice flag too so well done on finding such an historical piece of cold war militaria
    I'm sure in time items such as these will go through the roof value wise and wonder if reproductions will ever emerge onto the market ,i guess it is inevitable
    I should post up my other East German flag banners if that is the correct terminology
    I noticed that period pictures of Soviet troops stationed in East Germany seem mostly to wear the Ssch 40m which has a very similar 4 point chinstrap configuration and i compared the chinstraps on a thread a while back now and have found them again to show here Stahlhelm model 1956Stahlhelm model 1956Stahlhelm model 1956Stahlhelm model 1956Stahlhelm model 1956Stahlhelm model 1956

Steve are you certain there is no shell date/size stamping it should be just above the wearers left ear unless it has been heavily painted over that is

The shell size/date is very shallow and impossible to make out - even when using my jeweller's magnifier. The paint is original to the helmet, and not an overpaint; so the shell is likely to have just been one of those very lightly stamped examples. I dare say that I could make it out if I scrubbed the paint back, but I'm not prepared to do that. But the type of liner shows it to be an early model anyway!

Steve i don't blame you for not wanting to scrub back the paint work and damage such a nice example and agree it is just not worth it and there is no doubting it is an early model
    anyway so we can roughly guess its date of manufacture .It always amazes me how some of these earlier ones like these managed to retain there liners and not have the upgrade to the plastic cradle m56/66
    Could it be they were in private collections i am not sure but a fair few survived
    I do have an early 60's shell showing 3x external rivits but having unfortunately had the upgraded liner system

here's my 59 dated

Very nice to see your earlier example Rene'