Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VOPO M56 helmet.

Article about: by gaz232sqn Hi ian. Thanks mate,again good info sharing, the trouble is I have nothing to compare it too, but as already mentioned,this lid,is a very similiar colour to Austrian M48, grey m

Default VOPO M56 helmet.

Hi Guys.

This one arrived today,I was wondering if anyone out there,could give me some info,and help me successfully date this lid.

There is a stamping,but it is fairly illegilble.And is named to a "Steicker".

Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture VOPO M56 helmet.   VOPO M56 helmet.  

VOPO M56 helmet.   VOPO M56 helmet.  

VOPO M56 helmet.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement VOPO M56 helmet.
    P
    Many

Default Re: VOPO M56 helmet.

I do know a little bit about these helmets, but I'm sure you know what I'm about write, but I'll go ahead anyway just in case you don't know This helmet was based on a prototype helmet called the B/11. The B/11 was only made as a prototype towards the closing stages of the war so it was never issued, it was to be the new helmet for the German armed forces. I can't remember exactly, but a lot of thinking and testing went in to designing this helmet, i.e the location of the visor to give the wearers eyes shade from the sun, able to be used comfortably by the wearer in the prone position and being able to withstand a variety of ammunition fired from different ranges. I've heard that its one of the strongest and best designed steel helmets. I think the B/11 helmet never actually made it into service as it was rejected by Hitler based upon its looks. Following the war the East Germans were in need with a new helmet, the B/11 type design was adopted as it was a very good design and because it didnt look anything like the helmets used by Germany during the Second World War.

I hope that this is helpful and that all of what I've said is right

Thanks

Danny

Here`s mine for comparison.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture VOPO M56 helmet.   VOPO M56 helmet.  

VOPO M56 helmet.  

my guess on the date is mid 1970's - early 1980's , it has the latest "rivetless" shell and a late model adjustable liner, the earlier adjustable liner had a cup shaped plastic piece in the crown, yours has the open circle type / late type

the late M56 helmets were painted more of a grey color, yours looks like the earlier dark green color

maybe 1975 - 1980 era?

it has a really nice used look , excellent photos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YwT2...os=tYIhPSz1Nxo

East German war maneuvers 1980's

ian
    ?

the late M56 helmets were painted more of a grey color, yours looks like the earlier dark green colour

??? my m56 is dated 1989 iit is in factory new condition and is painted dark olive green ?

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    I do know a little bit about these helmets, but I'm sure you know what I'm about write, but I'll go ahead anyway just in case you don't know This helmet was Hbased on a prototype helmet called the B/11. The B/11 was only made as a prototype towards the closing stages of the war so it was never issued, it was to be the new helmet for the German armed forces. I can't remember exactly, but a lot of thinking and testing went in to designing this helmet, i.e the location of the visor to give the wearers eyes shade from the sun, able to be used comfortably by the wearer in the prone position and being able to withstand a variety of ammunition fired from different ranges. I've heard that its one of the strongest and best designed steel helmets. I think the B/11 helmet never actually made it into service as it was rejected by Hitler based upon its looks. Following the war the East Germans were in need with a new helmet, the B/11 type design was adopted as it was a very good design and because it didnt look anything like the helmets used by Germany during the Second World War.

I hope that this is helpful and that all of what I've said is right

Thanks

Danny
    Hi Danny.

Thanks mate,I think your knowledge is impressive, great synopsis of it's history, I think your right about it's strength and the build quality is very good,for a Communist state.

I guess old Adolf, was far to keen on the M35/42 shape,to make to radical a change to the B/11 shape!!!

Thanks again Danny,great info

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Here`s myne for comparison.
    Hi Nuno.

That's a nice looking lid,I like them,when they have rust and are a bit battered. It shows they've been there and been used,I could have purchased a pristine , unused lid,but it would not have had that ,salty look to it

Quote by battle gear View Post
    my guess on the date is mid 1970's - early 1980's , it has the latest "rivetless" shell and a late model adjustable liner, the earlier adjustable liner had a cup shaped plastic piece in the crown, yours has the open circle type / late type

the late M56 helmets were painted more of a grey color, yours looks like the earlier dark green color

maybe 1975 - 1980 era?

it has a really nice used look , excellent photos!

YouTube - NVA Manoever
    East German war maneuvers 1980's

Hi Mate.

The colour is very similiar to an Austrian M48,matt dark grey.The photo's could have been a bit clearer,I think I need to invest some cash,into buying a decent camera,and not spending it on Lids

I was am bit frustrated in that,the date stamp is illegible,but I agree,it's probably 70's era,or round about there,due to the rivet,configuration.

Thanks for your comments,and especially the you tube link, as ever ,your info and knowledge,is much appreciated

Quote by ian View Post
    the late M56 helmets were painted more of a grey color, yours looks like the earlier dark green colour

??? my m56 is dated 1989 iit is in factory new condition and is painted dark olive green ?
    Hi ian.

Thanks mate,again good info sharing, the trouble is I have nothing to compare it too, but as already mentioned,this lid,is a very similiar colour to Austrian M48, grey matt.

I wish I had an earlier and late version,to compare colour contrast.

I think I will very,very carefully, investigate the date stamp, in more detail,this afternoon, and hopefully this will narrow,this mystery down a bit more.

Thanks again Ian, great input

Think I know the date now, looks like 68!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast