Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Would like to learn anything about the Polish Typhus Relief Expediton my great-uncle participated in

Article about: Aloha from Hawaii! I'd be very interested in making contact with Piwo2, Krackow1 or any other members of the Polish Militaria sub-forum with knowledge and/or documentation relating to the po

Default Would like to learn anything about the Polish Typhus Relief Expediton my great-uncle participated in

Aloha from Hawaii! I'd be very interested in making contact with Piwo2, Krackow1 or any other members of the Polish Militaria sub-forum with knowledge and/or documentation relating to the post-WWI Polish Typhus Relief Expedition. My great-uncle Capt. John J. Carden, Jr. of the Medical Corps commanded a small unit sent to assist with the demobilization of Haller's Army members in 1920 until the Bolshevik advance threatened Warsaw, for which he received an Ameryki Cross medal. Capt. Carden is mentioned briefly several times in Alfred Cornebise's "Typhus and Doughboys" book, and his name also appears in contemporary documents uploaded to this sub-forum back in 2014. He was born in Hawaii when it was still a kingdom and graduated from Johns Hopkins Medical School in 1916. His father came to the islands in 1879 to help build the royal Iolani Palace in Honolulu, which still stands today, and his grandmother was a part-Cherokee "Trail of Tears" survivor who had crossed the plains to the California Gold Rush in 1850. After leaving the Army in 1923 and eventually returning to Hawaii, Dr. Carden had well-known "Tarzan" author Edgar Rice Burroughs as a friend and patient before and during WWII. Unfortunately, I knew almost nothing about this long-deceased and largely forgotten relative before starting to research a book about my family's 150 years in Hawaii, and no records or personal effects other than some photos are known to current family members. Dr. Carden regrettably died at an early age in 1946 with a wife of only two years and no children, and is remembered with a standard military marker at the historic Oahu Cemetery in Honolulu. Thus, I'd greatly appreciate being able to expand my knowledge of any parts of his still somewhat mysterious life. Best Easter wishes to all, Glen Winterbottom.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Would like to learn anything about the Polish Typhus Relief Expediton my great-uncle participated in
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Welcome Glen,

I'm sure the gents here will try to help as much as they can.

Beautiful Island! Years ago in my youth I lived on Oahu for a short period of time. Was tough to leave!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Unfortunately Oahu isn't so beautiful anymore due to massive over-development, and it's also affordable only if you're independently wealthy (average home price $800K). Ha ha, you should've bought a house, or maybe several, way back when! I left Oahu in the early 1970's for Naalehu, the Southernmost Town in the U.S.A. (it really is!), way out in the country on the Big island. Bought a quarter-acre sugar plantation town lot with nice views for $5,500 cash, and no lava hazard. As long as I have a good Internet connection, I don't mind being 60 miles away from the nearest "big city" and airport. Take care, Glen.

RMD
    ?

Very interesting back story, Glen, welcome aboard