Become our sponsor and display your banner here

any idea what this is? it is double sided

Article about:

?

Default any idea what this is? it is double sided

Name:  Ti-382.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  26.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	medal 2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	935620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	medal 3.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	935623Click image for larger version. 

Name:	medal.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	935624

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Thumbs down

It would make it a whole lot easier to look at IF you would post your photos right side up!!!
    Sarge

Pictures should of course be the right way up and in high resolution, otherwise it makes things very difficult. I have rotated them and saved them as bigger files so they can at least be enlarged.

It appears to be a watch fob for an Industrial Guild or society. From the style I would guess it was late 19th or early 20th century.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	medal.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	935700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	medal 2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	935699  

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Pictures should of course be the right way up and in high resolution, otherwise it makes things very difficult. I have rotated them and saved them as bigger files so they can at least be enlarged.

It appears to be a watch fob for an Industrial Guild or society.
    Yep, I agree. Most of us here actually take pleasure in helpfully sharing knowledge of any item put up for identification but pictures that by their very appearance make this difficult are not a good idea. Proper presentation of the images makes getting the answer you want far more likely.

That said, as stated above this is a "medallion" rather than a medal and is certainly not military.
    BTW in case you didn't know, the language is german but of course that would include; Austria, Switzerland, areas of some other european countries and the odd one or two German colonies.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Edit, If memory serves me (Despite what some of my colleagues think, I did actually listen at school!!) the inscription is from a very long and I have to say somewhat heavy poem by Friedrich Schiller and I think it translates as " If the work (as in a piece of work) shall praise the master,
    the blessing comes from on high." but there would be a line before that which the reader would need to know to really put it in context I just don't remember it. The gerneral concept seem fairly obvious though.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-17-2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Extra detail

Whilst browsing the form posts I just noticed that this exact question and pics were posted in another thread;

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/orders...w-what-619140/

Now I feel I wasted my time replying.

At least it seems I was correct about Friedrich Schiller!

Is it me or would it be a good idea for a member posting two separate copies of the same question in different sub-fora to say that he was doing this?

Regards

Mark

?

Thanks everyone, sorry about having this post in another section, I was worried that I had placed it in the wrong spot. By no means should your time be considered wasted, any information is appreciated and I was not aware of protocol.