Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Anyone seen this sort of pendant before?

Article about: Is this something official or just junk costume jewlery? I don't even know if it's period. I bought an iron cross second class from the UK years ago, and the guy sent this as a throw in gift

Guys, I think it is English as 9ct (9 carat) is an English gold standard. i.e. 375/1000 (parts per thousand). As previously said, it was a symbol for good luck that pre-dates the rise of the NAZI party. It is possible in the UK to find pieces of jewellery baring the swastika from the Victorian (1837-1901) and Edwardian (1901-1910) periods, not German and definitely nothing to do with the NAZI party in my opinion!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

That's okey! Just send it to me, and I'll find a use for it...uhh..I mean, get rid of it for you!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by theaussie View Post
    Guys, I think it is English as 9ct (9 carat) is an English gold standard. i.e. 375/1000 (parts per thousand). As previously said, it was a symbol for good luck that pre-dates the rise of the NAZI party. It is possible in the UK to find pieces of jewellery baring the swastika from the Victorian (1837-1901) and Edwardian (1901-1910) periods, not German and definitely nothing to do with the NAZI party in my opinion!
    The swastika, or manji, was a feudal family crest used in various forms in Japan by the samurai class. I have also seen it used as the symbol of
    Buddist temples.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I like it personally and am inclined to believe that it is indeed Third Reich Era and not just another example of pre-NS "Good Fortune" jewelry, which we see posted here often as well...the overall workmanship, stylized wreath, and "general impression" lead me to this opinion...
    cheers, Glenn

The swastika is slanted as you would expect from flags and emblems of the era. The non TR instances I've seen had the swastika squared off and not angled like that.

Quote by avenger View Post
    The swastika is slanted as you would expect from flags and emblems of the era. The non TR instances I've seen had the swastika squared off and not angled like that.
    this is incorrect. All of the early SA and SS sturmfahne had a static swastika.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 302.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	703023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 305.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	703024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 311.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	703025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 313.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	703027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 317.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	703028
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I was saying I hadn't yet seen many instances of the slanted version outside of the TR, rather than not seeing the squared off version inside it. Do you know of any slanted versions outside the TR? I'm not saying there isn't any, I've just not seen any.

Love those flags BTW. Why is the one made of little squares? It's one I've never seen...

?

Quote by avenger View Post
    I was saying I hadn't yet seen many instances of the slanted version outside of the TR, rather than not seeing the squared off version inside it. Do you know of any slanted versions outside the TR? I'm not saying there isn't any, I've just not seen any.
    Yes, it was used in its canted form prior to the Third Reich era, including in the form of jewelry. I think the spelling as 'carat' might offer a clue, since that spelling is more common in the UK than in the US.

?

By the way, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that the 'metricized' equivalent to the karat scale is and has long been more common in continental Europe, which means that something of 9 karat purity would more likely be marked as 375 (37.5% pure) if the place of manufacture was Germany. I'm not positive on that, though.

However...then, assume for a minute that it was actually Made in the UK. Why would this exclude the possibility of it being connected with the TR? Of Course, England and the other UK countries did considerable trade and sales both to and from Germany prior to the war being launched. Is there any reason that a jeweler in, say, Edinburgh or even London could not have made a batch of these pendants and shipped them to Hamburg or wherever in 1935 or 1936,etc.? The TR was in place for 6 years before war began, and did plenty of business with the UK and just about every other country around the World. I see no reason to discount a TR connection simply because this piece may have likely been manufactured in the UK. The Day that war was declared, there were still plenty of foreign ships sitting in the harbors of Germany(most of whom got themselves Stuck there for waiting too long)-I'm sure they weren't there for tourism.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast