Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

DANZIGER LUFTSCHUTZBUND info wanted

Article about: Seeking all relevant period | documented evidence, of the existence of a small round badge with the slogan DANZIGER LUFTSCHUTZBUND. It is fact that the DLB was a real organization, and in fa

Default DANZIGER LUFTSCHUTZBUND info wanted

Seeking all relevant period | documented evidence, of the existence of a small round badge with the slogan DANZIGER LUFTSCHUTZBUND. It is fact that the DLB was a real organization, and in fact did have a logo identical to that of the RLB, with the only exception being the first letter DLB instead of RLB.

DANZIGER LUFTSCHUTZBUND info wanted

BUT, are these small round badges that have the extra slogan around the border, DANZIGER LUFTSCHUTZBUND, based on an original badge? Or are they too, pure post war fantasy inventions?
    It seems that offering a Forum Donation for period evidence is not working too well, (see this link) therefor I will offer a personal cash donation to anyone who can provide period evidence of the existence of these small round DANZIGER LUFTSCHUTZBUNDS badges. PM or post the info here ▬ or not!
    Last edited by Jo Rivett; 07-28-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: i spellt BORDER like BOARDER ? like why? you know..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DANZIGER LUFTSCHUTZBUND info wanted
    P
    Many

?

Hello Jo

I don't know if the badge is real, but I found this... ??
    http://www.germanpostalhistory.com/p...p?itemid=56163

cordially
    Didier

RSW
    ?

I see that the OP that is asking questions on this ("Jo Rivett") is apparently banned from WRF, and that the post itself dates back to 2013. However, in case anyone happens across a badge such as the one mentioned in the future, I thought that I would add some relevant information.

I believe it likely that the Danziger Luftschultzbund did, in fact, exist. The example found by Didier (on the German Postal History web site) indicates the name "Danziger Luftschultzbund e.V." the e.V. meaning eingetragener Verein (a corporation structure similar to a non-profit that still exists today under German law); it makes sense that such an organization (in that time and place) would have been structured in this manner.

On the round badge posted by the OP is the insignia of the Danzig Free City (the crown with the two crosses under it, located underneath the swastika). The Danzig Free City is what Danzig was known as between the end of WWI (when the Versailles Treaty took effect) and the beginning of WWII. Part of the Treaty of Versailles directed that Germany cede Danzig (and West Prussia) and Danzig became known as the "Danzig Free City" under League of Nations protection while also maintaining special administrative ties to Poland.

While it was the Danzig Free City (and after 1933 when the Nazis came to power in Germany but before WWII and the invasion of Poland began), I believe it would have made sense that Danzig would have had its own version of a Luftschultzbund. Because during that time Danzig was not a part of Germany where the RLB had been created to deal with air raid protection.

After the invasion of Poland in 1939, the Danzig Free City (largely ethnically Germany anyway and under growing Nazi influence after 1933) was taken by the Wehrmacht and it was formally re-incorporated back into the German Reich. At that point I believe it likely that the RLB would have taken over air raid protection responsibility for Danzig and that the Danziger Luftschultzbund would have ceased to exist as an entity separate from the RLB.

I cannot comment on the authenticity of the badge itself. Also, corporations registered as an eingetragener Verein had records retained by the state and if those records survived (questionable given the bombing and more) it may be possible to do further research for those located in Germany itself, if one wanted further confirmation. Such records if complete would have included the organization's charter (Satzung).

?

Hello RSW

Thanks a lot for explanations !

I hope someone can prove that this badge existed... ?

cordially
    Didier

?

here is one of a friend

what can you say about it ?
    https://i.servimg.com/u/f75/11/14/30/43/danzig14.jpg

Thanks
    Didier

PS: I can't upload pictures.... I need help, please

Coffin back pin and plastic enamel by the look of it
    All not good in my book.
    Morris

?

Hello Morris

not plastic

Didier

?

Don't know whether it is plastic enamel or what but the coffin pin plate is no good in any case. Just with that I wouldn't want it in my collection.