Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

DRK canteen from ww2?

Article about: Hey everybody, Yesterday I bought this DRK canteen out of curiosity. De marking on the shoulder strap reads "Deutsches Rotes Kreuz - Kreisverband Erkelenz". The cup looks like a ww

Default DRK canteen from ww2?

Hey everybody,

Yesterday I bought this DRK canteen out of curiosity. De marking on the shoulder strap reads "Deutsches Rotes Kreuz - Kreisverband Erkelenz". The cup looks like a ww1 model, the marked canteen cap looks ww2. I have never seen such canteen before and it's undated...The webbing system is quite odd. It looks like a medic system, but the horizontal strap is missing . Perhaps it was originally a M31, but modified afterwards to use a shoulderstrap?
    DRK canteen from ww2?DRK canteen from ww2?DRK canteen from ww2?DRK canteen from ww2?DRK canteen from ww2?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DRK canteen from ww2?
    P
    Many

I believe the Riveted Strap on the Felt Cover indicates Early Postwar East German Service...It appears to me that this particular Canteen has been put together from a mixture of WWI, WWII and Postwar Parts...
    cheers, Glenn

gfc = Julius Posselt, Gablonz an der Neisse, Sudetenland

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I believe the Riveted Strap on the Felt Cover indicates Early Postwar East German Service...It appears to me that this particular Canteen has been put together from a mixture of WWI, WWII and Postwar Parts...
    cheers, Glenn
    Early postwar German Service was my first guess too. I think West German as Erkelenz lies in Western Germany. A closer look at the cup gives the impression it's a m31 model (the ww1 models are taller), my mistake.
    I also found a photo with a Sanitäter taking care of a Russian soldier in 1941. He wears two canteens; in the front his own and the one behind is the medical canteen. It looks like that medical canteen also misses the horizontal strap, but still has the shoulderstrap....Perhaps a less produced design?
    DRK canteen from ww2?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DRK canteen from ww2?