Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Field Made Ring? And Podium Banner?

Article about: I have these two items for review. I am being offered them to buy and I do not know what to offer the man nor even exactly what they are. Any help would be appreciated as far as identificati

Default Field Made Ring? And Podium Banner?

I have these two items for review. I am being offered them to buy and I do not know what to offer the man nor even exactly what they are. Any help would be appreciated as far as identification and/or value. Thank you all in advance!

Regards,

Jeff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Field Made Ring? And Podium Banner?   Field Made Ring? And Podium Banner?  

Field Made Ring? And Podium Banner?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Field Made Ring? And Podium Banner?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Field Made Ring? And Podium Banner?

Can't say alot about the banner(trumpet banner,maybe?)-it looks decent,just not my field...but the ring looks excellent. Was it silver plated at one time? In any case,it's very well made and certainly worth a decent bit-maybe in the hundred dollar range? William

I was just wondering about the "West Wall" underneith the helmet. Did they write it out just like we do? Would that not be in German?

Jeff

Hello Jeff, Nope-"West Wall" is the way they wrote it. All the West Wall rings you see are written this way. Pretty much means the same in either language. Nice ring. William

Since I am conceeding you know much more than I about rings, tell me more if you will. Who would have worn these? Where would they have purchased them? And what kind of markings would I expect to find on it?

Jeff

Can't say that I've ever seen one Exactly like it-there were many many designs. As you suggested,it may well be field made, but since it looks like it had been silver plated,I imagine that this was a canteen item,though, available to most anyone that wanted one. Any soldier would have been a possible wearer-I've seen West Wall's worn by Wehrmacht,Waffens,you name it. It was a popular patriotic subject-alot of time and labor went into the West Wall's building(not that it helped the Germans stop the Allies much,but,hey..they Tried,anyway!)They weren't limited to any one branch of the service. This particular one,I'm thinking,is abit more uncommon design-wise than the usual skulls and brick fortification West Walls you come across. As for markings,since it isn't silver,about all you could hope to find inside it might be a small maker's stamp,but probably not even that. It wouldn't have been expensive-even today in the US military canteens,you find patriotic rings of base metal for sale. Certainly not "officer material"-just your average in the trenches grunt's ring! Having said that,it's still a dandy of a ring. It looks heavy enough to be a brass knuckle type of ring! lol William