Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

How to prevent mothing ?

Article about: Gentleman and fellow collectors.. I have read and seen a few if not many posts about mothing or nip bites.. I have never witnessed a moth in my house... Why and how does this happen and what

I still remember with a shudder the year long war I waged on Indian Meal Moths....was a literal nightmare...I finally had to call in a pro exterminator. Their eggs can go for up to 6 months before hatching, and each generation seems to know what to avoid that the previous generation did not. Just unreal...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I still remember with a shudder the year long war I waged on Indian Meal Moths....was a literal nightmare...I finally had to call in a pro exterminator. Their eggs can go for up to 6 months before hatching, and each generation seems to know what to avoid that the previous generation did not. Just unreal...
    William,
    I know from your location info that you are in the US. But the mention of Indian meal moths has me worried and my lack of knowledge of Entomology has me wondering what part of our great nation has these pest????

Semper Fi
    Phil

Well, I'm in the far North by the Canada border and they thrive just fine up this way, so I imagine that just about anywhere in the US they'll be found. I was told that they were found in bags of dry dog food in the local store here and that was how I had the great fortune to encounter them, but who knows. They can come in from any number of sources or simply fly in your door sometimes. They are about the size of your little fingernail and are amazing acrobats and strategic defense fighters. They change tactics and Never repeat unsuccessful ones tried previously. They even change appearance over several generations-at one point, I recall, they developed transparent wings, so if they turned suddenly in mid-air, it would be like they vanished. Even today, if I see a common tiny moth go past a light or the TV here, I immediately get up and kill it. All you need is One to meet another one, and you've got thousands of armor coated eggs that can sit for a half a year before hatching, and no pest or poison spray can penetrate the shells of the eggs. The eggs look like microscopic white dust. Do a Google on these demonic moths-the end cost here ran me up over an $800 bill and even then, the pro exterminator had to come back several times at 18 months. At one point, I half contemplated setting the house on fire and turning it in to the insurance company....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

CBH
    ?

Thanks for all the Great Info , I purchased an electric flyswatter , it looks like a tennis racket . It's great for moth hunting , the mesh cuts through the air without pushing the moth away , and you get the pleasure of hearing the little bastards explode when the electricity hits them !!!!

Quote by CBH View Post
    Thanks for all the Great Info , I purchased an electric flyswatter , it looks like a tennis racket . It's great for moth hunting , the mesh cuts through the air without pushing the moth away , and you get the pleasure of hearing the little bastards explode when the electricity hits them !!!!
    John McEnroe walt.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

CBH
    ?

There is an audible pop and even sparks sometimes , for proof of a confirmed KILL ! lol

Oh yeah, I love that sound... Zap! I have to get one of those ;-)

If you look carefully in all the creases, the moth eggs are like little grains of rice. I have a good friend who is an entomologist, and she came round to check out all my uniforms as a recent WW1 officers tunic which I have bought had a couple of small nips. She said all was clear but if ever I did find a case which had a grub in it was to place the tunic in a plastic bag and place in a freezer for a couple of hours, as this will kill off the little blighters. I told her I haven't got a big enough freezer for that to which she replied 'moth balls' Charming. lol
    Quilly58

CBH
    ?

One of the many benefits of living in Canada is periods of 15/20- C for days at a time , so I have treated some of my wools in such a manner . But I do own a lot of Wool . I purchase my Bug Zapper at a dollar store place called Giant Tiger they had the powerful one with sparks and snap , and after chasing moths around with a flash light trying to swat them the zapper is the only way to Hunt !

That's what we humans do, kill kill kill... ;-) Yesterday while taking a walk, I saw one of the first signs of life as winter is apparently ending already... ;-( a mosquito, and it was dead within seconds ;-)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast