Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

How to prevent mothing ?

Article about: Gentleman and fellow collectors.. I have read and seen a few if not many posts about mothing or nip bites.. I have never witnessed a moth in my house... Why and how does this happen and what

Are you feeling okey,FB? Where on Earth did you get That from??

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If I have Ever made a disrespectful post about you, I would very much like to know where it is! As far as "engaging me in public", your post of #31 has already pretty well done That. If you want me off of this Forum, simply have Adrian Stevenson request me to leave and it will be done. But I want full reasons and causes for this.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Someone needs to tell this to FB then, as he has always shown photos of his enormous collection of black woolen SS caps and tunics as being stored in clear plastic bags....
    Please explain to me what entitles you to make a post of this kind, and especially in this tone?
    damit, basta.

If anyone is going to leave this forum at this point, it will be I. Nor am I going to say anything further on this score. You can take the issue up with Adrian Stevenson,
    Bob Coleman, Larry C and the other moderators.
    damit, basta.

Do you see something terribly disrespectful and insulting in what I posted?? You always show your collection in plastic bags-one of the most valuable and rare collections in the entire hobby. A knowledgeable poster makes note that plastic is a nonrecommended method of storage and I show concern that someone should let you know about this viewpoint, and you take it as a personal insult and attack?? I don't know where this animosity is coming from, but as far as what limited communications that I've ever had with you goes, there has and never was any personal insults from me to you. This is way over the line of acceptable.

Whoa gents Going off the rails here ...slow down.

I see no disrespect intended towards Friedrich here ..and more of a concern for his exquisite collection. Only wanting to protect it .

I myself would have to enquire such concern I am not a cloth I would not know better..than to ask the question of preservation..or preservation skills as the excellent thread has produced some great ideas and uses.

I have no skills in cloth ..none..only in steel preservation..and i would invite anyone to ask the same on the Edged weapons forum..regardless of how many threads there may seem to be. Preservation of History..will always be on the forefront of these things we collect. All must be protected .as environmental conditions and critters seem to wreak havoc at the most inopportune times..

I see no disrespect at all here ..but a great respect for a rare collection . The forum is thankful for these SS uniforms and the Knowledge of FB..but also the forum is equally grateful..for those who contribute to history..and also in this incredible thread of preservation. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Why, thank you, Larry. You are always the perfect gentleman.
    damit, basta.

FB, I would have to agree with Larry, I personally saw no disrespect in William's post.
    I hope we can all just get along here in this great forum.
    We do our best to weed out the bad apples, sometimes opinions just differ.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Having personally seen most of FB's collection, I can attest all is in fine condition. Frankly, I have never heard the concern about plastic. If critter get in to cloth housed in plastic, they were likely already in the garment. Please let us all keep the thread on topic and avoid personal controversy.

to the subject at hand: microclimates in storage are a real concern and what it means is that the conditions around your artifact can be radically divergent from the ambient conditions in the storage area. e.g. the conditions under your bedsheets after a night of chili and beer will be very different from the bedroom conditions. Plastics, unless conservation grade, and inert can cause a host of direct ind indirect issues. Reactive plastics such as dry cleaning bags will introduce gases to the microclimate that are often very damaging to metals and other plastics or organics like celluloid. They can also create high humidity if temperature fluctuations are occurrent and that can stimulate mold growth, fibre swelling, fungus etc. These are generalities as every storage area and region have their own unique considerations.

The notes I linked to before cover this in detail but here is good layman's guide: North Carolina Museum of History > Collections > How to Care for Your Artifacts > How to Care for Your Textiles

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast