Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ID'd 1936 Olympic Jersey?

Article about: Hi Guy's I was out at my great uncle estate and was cleaning out some stuff from there and came across a bunch of German military stuff..... most was bought for a hansom price buy a local Hi

carbking
    ?

Default ID'd 1936 Olympic Jersey?

Hi Guy's I was out at my great uncle estate and was cleaning out some stuff from there and came across a bunch of German military stuff..... most was bought for a hansom price buy a local Historian collector but i thought this piece was really neat so i have held it back as i have no idea how rare it might be.... no worry's as to the other stuff i did a huge chunk of research and was compensated just right... sooooooooo please have a look and opinions are welcome!!!!!!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ID'd 1936 Olympic Jersey?   ID'd 1936 Olympic Jersey?  

ID'd 1936 Olympic Jersey?   ID'd 1936 Olympic Jersey?  

ID'd 1936 Olympic Jersey?  

2. # ADS

Default Re: ID'd 1936 Olympic Jersey?

the EB looks a little fancy for being the initials of the owner. i dont know though, could be. i figured initials would just be written on the tag.

nice jersey though : )

This area/time period is ouside my interest. However, the initials are what I like.
    I have seen this in other German items, though I didn't take a great deal of interest in the photos at the time.
    I did see initials like this in a German friend's hiking food bags. They had a red, about the size of the ones here, stiched "WH" and were sown on outsife of the bags. The friend said therer were his dads from the immediate post WW2 period.

So, in my opinion, I like the initials. To me, typical German style of doing things! Plus, the font looks good too.
    Jagdhorn

The swastika surrounded by a cogged wheel is the insignia of the Deutsche Arbeits Front (DAF). I believe the blue colour is correct for a DAF sports vest also.

I think the Olympic competitors vests were white and featured an eagle and swastika insignia on the front.

Still a very nice piece.

carbking
    ?

why the Olympic symbol? if not Olympic.....

Quote by jagdhorn View Post
    This area/time period is ouside my interest. However, the initials are what I like.
    I have seen this in other German items, though I didn't take a great deal of interest in the photos at the time.
    I did see initials like this in a German friend's hiking food bags. They had a red, about the size of the ones here, stiched "WH" and were sown on outsife of the bags. The friend said therer were his dads from the immediate post WW2 period.

So, in my opinion, I like the initials. To me, typical German style of doing things! Plus, the font looks good too.
    Jagdhorn
    I too have a small blue cotton 'ditty bag' with embroidered initials, that belonged to my father (or grandfather ?) and I have no idea where either may have gotten it.
    It looks to be in the same type of 'script' in red thread on a small piece of white cloth sewn to the inside of the bag.

Perhaps it was common to ID clothing and such things in this way, back then...........?
    Regards,

Steve.

The 1936 Olympics is of course is a subject in itself.

This sports vest is a little odd, as it displays the well documented DAF "sports" emblem. The DAF and rather like many other organisations, did have a strong sports and physical education regime. I have never seen a blue sports vest before, although the emblem is very familiar.

For the Olympics, I always thought that the German team wore a vest showing the NSRL (eagle and swastika) emblem.

Regards,

David

The presence of olympic symbol on the vest is odd, particularly as the olympic rings are inverted, with two rings above three instead of the other way around.
    Last edited by Richarddwh; 06-07-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: *

Here is for comparison sakes is a photo of Karl Hein, German hammer thrower during the '36 Olympics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ID'd 1936 Olympic Jersey?   ID'd 1936 Olympic Jersey?  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast