Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting Reichsparteitag Picture

Article about: An interesting photo which can be found in a post by Big Ned in the Photograph Subforum. The picture is part of a collection owned by Time Life. The pictures were taken by Hitler's personal

Default Interesting Reichsparteitag Picture

An interesting photo which can be found in a post by Big Ned in the Photograph Subforum. The picture is part of a collection owned by Time Life. The pictures were taken by Hitler's personal photographer. Although identified as taken in 1938, this picture was taken likely in 1935 or 1936 at Reichsparteitag. Note that all of the SA kepis still bear the 1929 pattern national emblem, which would not be the case by 1938. Of interest is the SA Oberfuhrer or Brigadefuhrer in the foreground. He is wearing a kepi that appears to be that of an other ranks. There does not appear to be either officer piping or tresse. Of other interest to the political collector is the SA officer standing on the stand holding a Sturmbann Command wimpel. Two can be seen in the photograph. The man is also wearing the four pocket tunic and a transitional brown helmet with some form of decal, either the SA helmet insignia or possibly police. Also note Goring's stomach protruding out from the line of SA generals.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Reichsparteitag Picture  
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting Reichsparteitag Picture
    P
    Many

Default Re: Interesting Reichsparteitag Picture

Refering to my earlier thread, this image is available as all the others shown are, from LIFE.com. Although available as prints, they start at $99.99 and go up to an eye watering $119.99 for the 24" size.... OUCH!!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

That's Pfeffer von Salomon in the foreground. His cap did have piping around the top and flap, but no Tresse as he was not in a command position.
    The officer on the stand was a member of a Stabswache or similar group, and the flag is a white marker (you can see the yellow marker in the distance). Normally there would be another one but probably behind the photographer, which would indicate where the salutes or 'eyes right' should start andthe other would let the marchers know when the salute should be dropped.
    Erich

Erich-
    I have since seen an enlarged version of this photograph and the gold piping is evident on the kepi. The man on the stand appears to be wearing a helmet with the Wache decals, which predates the Feldherrnhalle insignia. I also now understand why the "command flags" were washed out in detail.
    Ned, at those prices for a copy of this picture, one can buy a nice period artifact.
    BOB

Erich-
    It is interesting that Von Salomon had a position right next to individuals such as Goring. He had been the head of the SA and was dismissed when he failed top control an inner power struggle within the SA. This lead to the recall of Rohm from South America. Evidently by 1936, he had worked his way back in to some form of grace to be allowed to stand in the front row.
    BOB

?

This is a picture of RPT 33, if it is of any help with the Kepi`s.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Reichsparteitag Picture  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

thanks to all for this info and thats a nice photo at the top and bottom

The Faehnleins in the image (the white and yellow objects) were also to indicate the space for the parade march as well as the salute.

There are many color images of the 1938 Reichsparteitag on the Life / Google site taken by Jaeger for Heinrich Hoffman.

I recently was in Nuremberg at this very spot, which, in real life, is much smaller than it seems in these color images.