Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Is this a legit Holocaust uniform?

Article about: I was surfing eBay and came across this: German WW2 COMPLETE UNIFORM from AUSCHWITZ camp, Dachau - eBay (item 160508385986 end time Jan-17-11 16:31:10 PST) Is this legit or just a repro?

Default Is this a legit Holocaust uniform?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Is this a legit Holocaust uniform?

Well, I can't speak to the uniform, but I can speak to the history the seller is claiming to "add" to it.
    The costume departments of many East German/Soviet block film companies sold a ton of items after the fall of communism. Many of these items were original captured stocks. However, they did have film stamps or patches in them, and they were repaired/modified as needed. Often this was done with little care of authenticity or for the history of the item.
    This seller is claiming that the uniform is original, but the patches were most likely added. If this is true, I would value this uniform at less than he is asking. I have heard when all of German WW2 uniforms were sold from the film sets they often went for low prices because of modifications and because they flooded the market. But some people did get some great deals on fantastic uniforms. We do have the Russians to thank for saving so much of this stuff for their propaganda!
    This does not seem to be a great deal for something that is openly 90% authentic at best.

George Petersen is a respected authority on these types of items. It is well known in collector circles that George obtained many items out of Eastern Europe shortly after the fall of the Communist governments. Thousands of stripped black panzer wrappers and hundreds of stripped black SS tunics. Is this appraisal letter original to this uniform? Difficult to say. Chances are that the piece is legitimate.
    It is not something I would ever want for my collection.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I would agree with Bob's comments. I too think it stands a good chance of being original.

Cheers, Ade.