Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL & One FAKE

Article about: Hello tingmissartoq (?) .. Welcome! Please post your images .. I also own the same postcard your are using as your avatar .. Mike

Luther
    ?

Default NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL & One FAKE

Hello All,

Attached are photos of two different examples of the NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badge - Bronze Grade.

The first example is authentic.

The second example is a questionable.

Firstly, the serial # stamped on the reverse clearly shows that it was done with a hammer and number punches - the distortion from the application of the serial # is something I have never seen before.

Secondly, look at the edges of all the details on the front. Compare them to the first example. The first example has sharp, well defined edges whereas the second example has edges that are a bit "softer" and rounded off.

Thirdly, look at the defect on the end of the right wing tip and below the glider nose in the "cloud." These defects are the type seen on cast fakes.

Fourthly, look at the color of this badge. It's supposed to be Bronze Grade, but looks almost like the Silver Grade. Looks like it just came off the press. There is absolutely no age discoloration...and it isn't accompanied by an original case or storage envelope.

Fifthly, doesn't the badge serial # at the top look a bit funny - #s are a bit indistinct - as compared to the sharp, well-defined #s on the first example. Looks cast to me.

Sixthly, that pin may or may not be right.

I don't think the second example is authentic.

Afterall, 115 and 0319 are not that far apart that they would have changed manufacturing techniques/specifications for this badge. I think there was only one manufacturer of this badge.

That's my observations and arguments, but maybe someone out there knows better.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL & One FAKE   NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL & One FAKE  

Attached Images Attached Images NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL & One FAKE  NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL & One FAKE 

2. # ADS

Luther
    ?

Default Re: NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL & One FAKE

Hello All,

I need to point out a mistake in my analysis.

The "defect" beneath the glider's nose is the result of "flattening" - which happened when the award # was stamped into the badge. If you look at the location on the reverse it clearly corresponds to the marks on the obverse.

It is not a casting-manufacturing defect as I stated earlier...

Someone with experience with low number versions of this badge (obviously < 0318). Maybe the earliest badges were hand stamped, but this doesn't correspond to virtually every other badge with an award or serial # on the reverse...they are machine stamped.

Despite my error I highly doubt the authenticity of the second (lower) example. I say it's fake.

i agree with your observations about this badge,,,good job

Luther,

I agree with your assessment of the two NSFK Modelflugleistungsabzeichen. The first one you pictured is nearly identical to known originals, with exception to the pin retention hook. Your hook is fabricated from round wire stock, while the majority of examples use a flat stock. Your example is without question authentic.

I have always felt the second example you have pictured is a post war reproduction. The originals are of zinc construction and have a zero at the beginning of the membership number, while the second example shown seems to be copper, brass, tombac, a metal so soft and thin that the number stamping distorts the front of the badge. Plus there is no zero at the front of the membership number. The above metals were considered "strategic" metals and toward the end of the war, were exclusively used in the production of armaments. So later produced examples of this badge would have most certainly been produced from a cheaper, non-strategic metal/alloy like zinc. There is no proof this a reproduction, it just looks poorly made with a more modern style pin.

Below, are some images of my matched set in gold.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE   NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE  

NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE   NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE  

Attached Images Attached Images NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE  NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE  NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE  NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE 

Here is another known original in bronze ..

All the best ..

Mike W.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE   NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE  

According to John R. Angolia, "NSKK / NSFK Uniforms, Organization and History" ... there were only two grades of this badge, bronze and gold ..

Here is pictured a suspect example in "silver" placed beside Luther's example for comparison.

I believe the images were taken from a German auction last year ..
    Attached Images Attached Images NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE  NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE  NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE  NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE 

Another known original set in gold ..

All the best ..

Mike W.
    Attached Images Attached Images NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE  NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE  NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE  NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE  NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL &amp; One FAKE 

very nice badges,,,thanks for posting

This is a NSFK- Document of identification for "Model Flight Performance Examiners" .. Belonging to Rolf G e r m e r, a model flight instructor (Modellfluglehrer) from Zwenkau/Circle, Leipzig, issued in Dresden, 26.3.1943 .. It is signed by Rolf and his NSFK Gruppenfuhrer from Gruppe 7.

Rolf was very likely one of the officials that awarded the NSFK Aero-Modelling Proficiency Badges to the young NSFK, HJ and NPEA model airplane builder/fliers.

I am very excited to own this ausweis ..

All the best ..

Mike W.

Question Re: NSFK Aeromodeling Proficiency Badges - One REAL & One FAKE

According to John R. Angolia, "NSKK / NSFK Uniforms, Organization and History" ... there were only two grades of this badge, bronze and gold ..

I am new to the forum but great interest in Flieger HJ and NSFK. Just a comment on the above statement. I have a copy of the 1942 edition of Das NS-Fliegerkorp by Arno Kerhberg. It has a colour plate with Model flug Leistungabzeichen (Tuch).
    There are 3
    A: Abzeichen (Weise Stickerei)
    B: Abzeichen (Mattgelb Stickerei)
    C- Abzeichen (Aluminiumstickerei)

The artwork has the glider in a wreath (as in the example shown in these postings) however in the B & C there is a swastika in the wreath below the nose of the glider.

Can get a photo if anyone interested however the designs do not match the examples shown here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast