Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NSFK Glider Proficiency badge

Article about: Could some-one please tell me the significance of the "A" on this badge? Thank you. Tom

Default NSFK Glider Proficiency badge

Could some-one please tell me the significance of the "A" on this badge? Thank you.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images NSFK Glider Proficiency badge 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSFK Glider Proficiency badge
    P
    Many

Default Re: NSFK Glider Proficiency badge

Hi Tom,

Can you get a clear shot of the back? Reason I ask is that this badge is still produced worldwide as an FIA Gliding Proficiency Badge. For it to be a NSFK type B badge it will be numbered and made in Germany by either S&L, Deumer or Bonner I believe.

The NSFK did have badges marked on the TOP of the award 'N' for pilots who qualified in Norway, but I've not found any marked 'A' at the bottom. I have however found a postwar one marked 'G' at the bottom but cannot find out what that stands for. I think that the one you show may be postwar, but a look at the back may confirm it as a period NSFK piece. Sorry this is so convaluted an answer, but it's pretty vague info I'm going on!

The criteria for the three basic levels of award were:

Certificate A....One gull: a 30 second solo free flight without manoeuvers.

Certificate B....Two gulls: a 60 second solo free flight with an "S" turn manoeuver.

Certificate C....Three gulls: a 5 minute solo flight without loss of altitude, plus an oral explanation.

The holder of this certificate was experienced in the difference between gliding and soaring.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned, for this comprehensive explanation.
    Unfortunately the badge is not in my possession and is currently on a local auction site.
    I have asked the seller for a rear view, or at least details of whatever markings may be on the back, but have as yet not heard back from him/her.

Tom

OK, Ned. We can assume that it is indeed a modern piece after all. The seller just got back to me and there are no markings at all.
    Would still love to know what the "A" represents, as well as the "G" you spoke of.

Tom

I have this example pinned to a WWII British slouch hat. Post war I assume with the G above the 3 gulls.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSFK Glider Proficiency badge  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I got this info from another forum.

This is a lapel badge denoting the award of the Bronze Badge in gliding. The badges awarded in this series are the 'A' Certificate - one bird; the 'B' Certificate - two birds; Bronze Badge - three birds (yours); Silver Badge - three birds surrounded by a silver wreath; Gold Badge - three birds surrounded by a gold wreath (I think that these three badges are all levels of the 'C' Certificate, but I can't be certain), and the last badge in the series is the Three Diamonds Badge - three birds surrounded by a gold wreath with three diamonds at the top of the wreath. Rules for the badges up to bronze are governed by the gliding associations of the individual country; rules for silver and above are governed by the FIA (Federation Aeronautique Internationale). The badges are currently available through the British Gliding Association, though I think the 'B' Certificate has been discontinued. I think the badges up to Bronze are for solo flying and from Silver on, advanced flying and soaring.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Both badges in this thread are not NSFK.

Quote by mike41 View Post
    Both badges in this thread are not NSFK.
    Please elaborate on your post.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

He is correct Bob, both are post war Glider qualification badges.

I added mine as it was relevant to the thread, but not to NSFK, but that was already clear from the previous posts, so perhaps he was merely stating the obvious, but the thread was started to ask about the origin/date of the first badge and that is why it is here.

Maybe now it is clearer as to the date of the thread starter badge this thread could be moved.
    Regards,

Jerry

As has been said above, no NSFK connection. The letter "A" identifies the country where it was issued, although I do not know which one in particular.

Also see: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/non-c...-badge-315566/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast