Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on Armbands

Article about: Any help appreciated. Have had these a number of years, bought at an estate auction. Shoebox with 4 armbands and a converted Ross bayonet. The other 2 armbands were German so assumed these w

Default Opinions on Armbands

Opinions on Armbands
    Opinions on Armbands
    Opinions on Armbands
    Opinions on Armbands
    Opinions on Armbands

Any help appreciated. Have had these a number of years, bought at an estate auction. Shoebox with 4 armbands and a converted Ross bayonet. The other 2 armbands were German so assumed these were as well. The red armband is a heavy canvas-like material, no markings. The black and white is a light cotton material with no markings. Someone kindly posted a link to armbands that showed the black and white to be Decontamination service but unknown which branch, three listed. Cheers Brian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on Armbands
    P
    Many

I don't think they are german. They were pretty specific with their items especially in regards to armbands as to what branch and or organizations they were associated with. But I could be mistaken. Best regards.

Brian

Here are several photo examples from German daggers forum. I give the reference a wide birth as some of the pieces listed are dubious. For example the white band with black stripe is listed as decontamination for several organization including luftwaffe amongst others. Also there a several red bands with no demarcations as to their specific use one for nsfk glider student another for communist etc a reach imo. But never say never. I still hold to them being too vague to be TR. JMO kindest regards.

Brian

Armband Identification Gallery

Opinions on ArmbandsOpinions on ArmbandsOpinions on Armbands

Actually the top red band looks native American or indigenous peoples in design and construction but it's just a guess on my part.
    Last edited by bsiwula1; 10-03-2017 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks for the replies. The red one has an almost orange pattern running through it. The decontamination one may be okay but which unit? Everthing else in the box was military so assumed these were as well. Cheers Brian

Hello Brian I can see where you can come to that conclusion, as you said everything else seemed to be military. I honestly feel the decontamination armband is a stretch in an official capicity. If it were indeed to be of period there wasn't much that denoted what branch of service it was intended for other than a rather vague ink stamp (if you trust the source I provided as being complete and accurate?). Early war and I suppose throughout I'm certain chemcial weapon use was a constant concern, if that was what the decontamination units purpose was/were? but I suppose I could apply to any chemical spill and or hazard. But what would make people aware that a white armband with a black stripe meant contamination prevention/treatment. To me seems a long shot as I said the majority of German armbands were rather specific as to the purpose of the wearers job duty/function. Perhaps other may know better? Best regards.

Brian

Hi Brian May never know as there are no markings or stamps. When I first got them just guessed the black and white may be for mourning. Possibly had rzm tags at one time but no way of telling. Strange that the red one is such a heavy material. Dont know who else even used armbands. Cheers Brian