Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Political Flag Bearer Gorget for Opinions

Article about: Hi All, Well I always wanted a Gorget to add to my collection but they can be pricey, I finally came across one that was a reasonable price for what was being offered, it looks pretty good o

Default Political Flag Bearer Gorget for Opinions

Hi All,
    Well I always wanted a Gorget to add to my collection but they can be pricey, I finally came across one that was a reasonable price for what was being offered, it looks pretty good overall, alittle worn but I like the contrast, no dents or scratches, the chain does not match which seems more common then matching ones, were they mismatched in period times or mixed up after the war with all the vet bring backs?? and I am not sure if the backing is replaced or original, it looks alot more course/thicker then normal, I know they moth alot so It may have been replaced, but it still looks old which keeps me on the fence about it...maybe an expert can weigh in with some help on this one. either way the price was fair along with the condition, I am happy with it now I just have to pay it off LOL
    Political Flag Bearer Gorget for OpinionsPolitical Flag Bearer Gorget for OpinionsPolitical Flag Bearer Gorget for OpinionsPolitical Flag Bearer Gorget for OpinionsPolitical Flag Bearer Gorget for Opinions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Political Flag Bearer Gorget for Opinions
    P
    Many

The gorget is an original period piece. It appears that the nap of the cloth backing has seen some abuse but it is the correct period green color. It is doubtful that the chains were mixed up in the period. It is much more likely that the gorget and chain is a post war marriage by a collector or dealer.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks bob, all the RZM 5/3 examples I have seen (3 total) have tan backing, so chances are this green backing could be a replacement somewhere along the way...maybe still original? would a blacklight test help? It really is a minor issue since you display it from the front but then again if I wanted a perfect one I would have paid double.
    I just wondered if the chain and gorget were made in seperate places since they have a different RZM prefix/coding and catagory.

?

Mismatched or Not. I would love to have that in my collection.
    It looks awesome!!!! Congrat's
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks phil, I never saw or held one in person so I am pretty excited about owning one.

?

So have you worn it yet??????
    I know I would be drinking a Warsteiner in a Stein with that bad boy on!!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Nice PL Gorget - maker of the chain RZM 1/102 is Frank& Reif, Stuttgart and the gorget RZM 5/3 Bruckmann & Probsting, Ludenscheid -

One has to remember that almost 70 yrs have passed since these items were worn , things were switched around post 45 by either the vets or the collectors who passed these down therefor the two RZM combinations.Still a great collectable item.
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

?

Heres a couple PL gorgets:

Political Flag Bearer Gorget for Opinions
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"