Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Polizei Crash Helmet

Article about: Have the opportunity to pick this up. Only one picture at this time and poor quality. does anyone know anything about these? I have an NSKK version but never seen a police. I normally don't

MAP
    ?

Default Polizei Crash Helmet

Have the opportunity to pick this up. Only one picture at this time and poor quality.

does anyone know anything about these? I have an NSKK version but never seen a police.

I normally don't ask for prices but since I can find next to no comparables out there I was hoping someone could give me an approx value.

(NOTE: At this point I'm not asking about authenticity - that is unless it is a fantasy item - as I will have plenty of time to review and post here once I see it in hand.)

As always, any and all comments are welcome

Regards

Michael

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140910_164540.jpeg 
Views:	207 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	738939
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

could be wrong, but I get the feeling this is an old flying helmet [civilian] with a Police Shako badge attached to it.fake?

- - ------- - -

could be wrong, but I get the feeling this is an old flying helmet [civilian] with a Police Shako badge attached to it.fake?

MAP
    ?

Quote by harryamb2 View Post

- - ------- - -

Thanks Harry.

I have heard that while not common, it is not unheard of to have old flying helmets converted. I think I have seen a converted NSKK versione verified as legit.

But agree, this one does look like if could be converted (or fake?) given the style.

the dealer is extremely reliable so if it is a fantasy piece, he is fooled as well.

Regards,

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

There is a brown and a black model of this crash helmet worn by motorcycle riders. There is also a visorless black model worn by Panzer police. They are not a common item. The last one that I sold was for $1500 and that was around ten years ago. From the picture, it appears to be a period genuine article.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

MAP
    ?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    There is a brown and a black model of this crash helmet worn by motorcycle riders. There is also a visorless black model worn by Panzer police. They are not a common item. The last one that I sold was for $1500 and that was around ten years ago. From the picture, it appears to be a period genuine article.
    Thanks Bob! Thanks for the confirmation. My dealer said the same thing (as well as what he was seeing them sell for).

Regards,

Michael

It looks like the crash helmet (Sturzhelm) for the German police, motor-drivers (Motorradfahrer).
    Brown with a visor was worn by Gendarmerie (with an aluminum colored device) and black for
    other police with an aluminum form (Schutzpolizei). The white version with yellow symbol was
    worn by the Verkehrspolizei. Gendarmerie-Bereitschaften did also wear the yellow colored symbol,
    but with a brown crash helmet. So:
    black for Schutzpolizei and Gemeinepolizei;
    brown for Gendarmerie and Gendarmeriebereitschaften;
    white for Verkehrspolizei.

Officially there should be one ventilation hole at each side. When this crash helmet would have
    had no visor then it was the version for armoured cars (Besatzung für Panzerwagen), which has
    two ventilation holes (source plate from the "Uniform der deutschen Polizei" and "Die Ordnungs-
    polizei" from 1939). Angolia/Taylor are wrong when they say the version for armoured cars does
    have a visor (page 261, volume 2).

Sorry, I was'n't done Bob! You were quick as the speed of light. With your quote you can see what I changed and added.
    "Wir sollen auch unser Leben für die Brüder lassen" (1.Joh.3.16):
    zum Gedächtnis Wilhelm Schenk. Er starb fürs Vaterland am 13. Juni 1916

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    It looks like the crash helmet (Sturzhelm) for the German police, motor-drivers (Motorradfahrer).
    Brown with a visor was worn by Gendarmerie (with a yellow colored device) and black for other
    police with an aluminum form.
    Officially there should be one ventilation hole at each side. When this crash helmet would have
    had no visor then it was the vesion for armoured cars (Besatzung für Panzerwagen), which has
    two ventilation holes (source plate from the "Uniform der deutschen Polizei).
    Wim-
    As usual, you provide us with excellent documentation on these items. Years ago, I owned a brown example. It had the aluminum eagle, not a yellow colored device. I wonder if this was a later modification or just one of those things when regulations were not always conformed with.
    BOB

MAP
    ?

Mr. Saris,

I could not ask for any better information. Thanks a million. I am now armed with great information when I see it this weekend!

Thanks and regards

Michael

MAP
    ?

Well the crash helmet arrived today. A bit of a happy/sad moment.

It is in fairly rough shape with some damage to the "bumpers" and also the chinstrap. One is missing. The other is broken and brittle. Otherwise the helmet is in nice shape with soft leather liner and flaps. It's a very large sized 60.

That said, the surprise is that it is an EREL Sonderklasse!!! And with a patented adjustible headband.

I'm on the fence on whether to purchase this. Cost is less than 1/2 of what a minty one would go for. Any advice guys????

Also, has anyone seen an EREL version? Is this a private purchase?

Either way, here are some pictures for others to use as a guide later on.

Regards,

Michael

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2847.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	740584Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2848.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	326.0 KB 
ID:	740585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2849.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	740586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2850.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	740587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2851.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	740588Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2852.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	740589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2853.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	740590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2854.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	740591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2855.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	289.1 KB 
ID:	740592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2856.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	740593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2857.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	255.5 KB 
ID:	740594Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2858.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	740595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2859.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	240.6 KB 
ID:	740596

The black and brown models I had many years ago were both Erel. As to keeping it, you must decide the level of damage that is acceptable to you. I always wanted items that were in excellent+ to mint condition. I still try to collect that way as damaged goods never repair themselves. Today is a different standard in collecting due to the great increase of collectors and decrease of period material. I would hold off and wait for a better example.
    The choice however is of course yours.
    BOB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast