Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAD uniforms

Article about: I have these photos that my grandfather brought back from the war. Maybe someone can help me identify the units and maybe where they were stationed. I would like to know if anyone has inform

980th
    ?

Default RAD uniforms

I have these photos that my grandfather brought back from the war. Maybe someone can help me identify the units and maybe where they were stationed. I would like to know if anyone has information on the group photo with the soldiers in black uniforms and why does the one soldier have a black armband on top of his other armband?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAD uniforms   RAD uniforms  

RAD uniforms   RAD uniforms  

Attached Images Attached Images RAD uniforms 

2. # ADS

Default Re: RAD uniforms

The RAD men were part of RAD Arbeitsgau XVII located in Niedersachen-Mitte. Numbers of the Arbeitsgruppen were 170-177. Your guys wear 175, but the pic is back to front.

The guys in black are members of the DAF. The black armband, worn by the NSDAP Political leader, would be for mourning. The other guy in the brown shirt is a member of the SA.

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.

980th
    ?

Thanks. I'll start looking in this direction.

Adrian is right regarding the black stripe as a mourning symbol. It may have to do with Hindenburgs death in August 1934. Then all the NSDAP and Reichswehr formations would wear these black bands. Around that time also Hitler took over the function of president as well as chancellor in one person. The picture might date from that time.