Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rare period photo from 1933 - Honorary citizenship of Hitler and Hindenburg

Article about: Picked this photo up recently just by chance. It's shows a Brühl City Council meeting in regards to awarding Hitler and Hindenburg the status of "Ehrenbürgerrecht" - honorary citiz

?

Default Rare period photo from 1933 - Honorary citizenship of Hitler and Hindenburg

Picked this photo up recently just by chance.

It's shows a Brühl City Council meeting in regards to awarding Hitler and Hindenburg the status of "Ehrenbürgerrecht" - honorary citizenship.

Adolf Hitler als Ehrenbürger

Many cities rushed to bestow this honour but in most cases, the status was revoked after 1945 for obvious reasons. In the case of Brühl however, it's rather more interesting as they seemed to have forgottten to take Hitlers name off the list and had to be reminded of it by an angry young school girl in 2009.

Kopfzeile

I've not throughly researched the subject but could not find any other period images of this kind of City Hall "ceremony".

Sorry about the copyright marks but what with all the images being stolen lately, it's the only thing to do.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare period photo from 1933 - Honorary citizenship of Hitler and Hindenburg   Rare period photo from 1933 - Honorary citizenship of Hitler and Hindenburg  

Rare period photo from 1933 - Honorary citizenship of Hitler and Hindenburg   Rare period photo from 1933 - Honorary citizenship of Hitler and Hindenburg  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rare period photo from 1933 - Honorary citizenship of Hitler and Hindenburg
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Rare period photo from 1933 - Honorary citizenship of Hitler and Hindenburg

A little surprised that no one is interested in this?

Default Re: Rare period photo from 1933 - Honorary citizenship of Hitler and Hindenburg

I just saw it now that you've bumped it. Very nice photo and story. I wonder if there are any other town that 'forgot'?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I wonder if there are any other town that 'forgot'?
    If I imagine that Hitler was probably an honorary citizen of almost every town and village, then I wouldn't be surprised if there's still some places that "forgot".

Ben, me being a fan of early NSDAP uniforms definately like your photo a lot. Funny to see the that one guy's dotted tie in the closeup! Very nice photo and interesting story about Brühl. Thanks for sharing both, Ben! Later today I shall post an NSDAP group photo I got recently. It's dated as early as yours.

Cheers, MB.

Great photo and history Ben, amazing, thanks for showing. I didn't know that Hindenburg was born in Posen. That nice dotted tie caught my eye too MB, strange.

Jay

?

I wonder if this is the same type of tie ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare period photo from 1933 - Honorary citizenship of Hitler and Hindenburg  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hitler was an Honor Citizen of ca. 4,000 German/Austrian cities, towns and municipalities.

Many of them officially revoked his honoray citizenship after the war. (Some very quickly, some years or even decades later.)

Others didn't find it necessary on the basis of the legal argument that honorary citizenship automatically ends with death anyway.

Still others didn't do it because of an Allied Control Commission directive that rendered void all honorary citizenships held by persons found guilty of war crimes. (Although technically, this didn't really apply as Hitler was of course never sentenced for war crimes.)

It is surely safe to assume that yet others decided to conveniently "forget" that Hitler had ever held honorary citizenship.

I remember that Himmler and Hitler were still listed as Honorary Citizens in my hometown's address book well into the Eighties or Nineties, when they were deleted due to public objection.

Thanks for the info HP, that's the kind of stuff you can't just find anywhere. I think you matched the tie Zwerge.

Jay

?

Sorry Ben it may have got more initial interest in the photo section from the guys there , very interesting photo and info from you and Andreas !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings