Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SA Reserve, Aircraft Reporting & Colonial Bund pins

Article about: Here are a few pins & badges that just arrived in the mail today. I've seen the first pin on the left described as an SA Reserve pin but it was listed as a civilian pilot pin. I wonder i

?

Default SA Reserve, Aircraft Reporting & Colonial Bund pins

Here are a few pins & badges that just arrived in the mail today. I've seen the first pin on the left described as an SA Reserve pin but it was listed as a civilian pilot pin. I wonder if anyone can clarify the significance of the wings on the pin and why it would represent a member of the SA. The middle badge is for a member of the aircraft reporting service, civilian I suppose. The left pin is for a member of the colonial bund. I welcome all comments and info. Thanks, Al.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Reserve, Aircraft Reporting & Colonial Bund pins
    P
    Many

Default Re: SA Reserve, Aircraft Reporting & Colonial Bund pins

Quote by Aldo View Post
    I've seen the first pin on the left described as an SA Reserve pin but it was listed as a civilian pilot pin. I wonder if anyone can clarify the significance of the wings on the pin and why it would represent a member of the SA.
    SA-Reserve is correct.

More specifically, this was the symbol for the short-lived SA-Reserve II*, which was formed in late 1933 and consisted of older SA members over the age of 45 and the members of the Kyffhäuserbund and various other veterans'/traditons organizations. It was eventually integrated into the general SA organizational structure.

See here for an example of a Kyffhäuserbund ID card showing the dual symbols of the Kyffhäuserbund and the SA-Reserve II:
    The Collector's Guild

The SAR II pin was only authorized for wear for a rather short period of time; authorization for wear was withdrawn again in November 1935.

The symbolism with the high Tschako+Wings+Swastika is a bit odd indeed; I cannot offer any hard info on the reason just why this was used. (Still, as for the Tschako: Maybe this piece of historical military headgear was chosen to symbolize a historical link between the second-line SA Reservists and the second-line military reservists of the Landwehr/Landsturm of yore? But that is just a personal theory of mine.)

I cannot comment on the authenticity of the item, either.

* (SA-Reserve I was made up of men aged 38 through 45 and mostly composed of the remaining membership of the Stahlhelmbund after the Wehrstahlhelm had been incorporated into the active SA.)
    Last edited by HPL2008; 08-01-2011 at 08:03 PM.

?

Hello, thank you for that wealth of information. It amazes me how much knowledge is shared by members of this forum. As for authenticity, I hope it is real. I have seen these up for sale frequently and assumed they were not rare. A few more pics in the event that someone would like to comment on authenticity. Thanks

Your SAR II Badge, later called SAL-Badge, is authentic.

This badge was approved by SA admin (Oberste SA Führung) in March 1934. Because of some factory problems delivering started on June 1934. "authorization for wear was withdrawn again in November 1935" is not correct. Oberst Reinhard, leader of the SAR II / SAL and also leader of the Reichskriegerbund allowed former members of SAR II / SAL to wear this badge as a rememberance-badge.

?

Quote by debbi082009 View Post
    Your SAR II Badge, later called SAL-Badge, is authentic.
    Thank you for the information. Cheers, Al

Quote by debbi082009 View Post
    This badge was approved by SA admin (Oberste SA Führung) in March 1934. Because of some factory problems delivering started on June 1934. "authorization for wear was withdrawn again in November 1935" is not correct. Oberst Reinhard, leader of the SAR II / SAL and also leader of the Reichskriegerbund allowed former members of SAR II / SAL to wear this badge as a rememberance-badge.
    Thanks for the additional information.

The info about it being withdrawn is from Ludwig Arndt's "Militärvereine in Norddeutschland"; he is referring to a decree of the OSAF of 22 November 1935.

By the way, I remember you mentioned writing a book on the veterans' organizations in an earlier thread. Will it be out soon? (Far too little reference material on this subject is available on the market...)