Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SA/SS Gorget

Article about: Hi. Just picked this up but I don't know much about these. I think it's a SA or SS Gorget? Sorry for the pics, my camera is giving me grief. It has D.R.G.M marked on one of the rear tabs. Ni

Default SA/SS Gorget

Hi. Just picked this up but I don't know much about these. I think it's a SA or SS Gorget? Sorry for the pics, my camera is giving me grief. It has D.R.G.M marked on one of the rear tabs. Nice age with quite intricate detal. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks.SA/SS GorgetSA/SS GorgetSA/SS GorgetSA/SS Gorget

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA/SS Gorget
    P
    Many

Default Re: SA/SS Gorget

Hi. I'll get some better pics up on the weekend when I buy a new camera. From what I can find on these Gorgets, it looks like an early pattern worn be the SA and SS at that period. Behind the backing I can feel the prongs that hold the emblems in place and it passed the magnet test. There seems to be some contraversey about the D.R.G.M stamp. A few say they never were on originals but there are plenty of examples of early period originals with this marking from various sources. The only thing myself and the seller are not sure on is if the chain is original or replaced. It has the right braded pattern but looks a little thicker than examples we have seen. On line prices are all over the place. Anyone know the value of these assuming the chain is not original?

I can tell from what you have posted that the chain is not good. Looking forward to some good pictures of both the front and reverse.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Yup. That chain stands out like sore thumb. I hope the rest is good.

Regards, Lars

Hi and thank you for your feed back. It confirms what I suspected about the chain. Where it's fixed to the Gorget, there is a split in the chain link and what looks like plier marks from when it was pushed on when added. Comparing the rest of it with pics of other originals of this period I can't find any differences. The star pattern is correct(pics of repros I've seen seem to mess it up completely) and the roundle details look good(I went so far as to count the feathers on the eagle, etc.). I also read what to watch out for on repros-thin hand bendable metal, glued together rather than attached by prongs, etc. I took new photos with my wife's phone and they turned out better than my dieing camera. If you guys know the value of these let me know. Not looking to sell just currious. Online prices are all ove the place!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA/SS Gorget   SA/SS Gorget  

SA/SS Gorget   SA/SS Gorget  

SA/SS Gorget   SA/SS Gorget  

Pics of the replaced chain.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA/SS Gorget   SA/SS Gorget  

SA/SS Gorget  

What a bogus gorget. In no way original. Thought about that?
    The DRGM indication should not be positioned at all on an SA item.
    No marking would have been better, but RZM would be best
    (this not guarantees originality however).

The "middle" tang: try to put it into a button hole. Won't succeed
    while it is too wide and above all too short. The tang to position
    the chain is also incorrect!

To answer your question yes I did question the originallity of the gorget so I looked up all the information I could find on them. Apperently, the DRGM hallmark was put on early models of these gorgets according to various sources. Also, pictures of these early models seem to have shorter/wider centre tangs than the later RZM types and the tang to position the chain are of various lengths(the one on mine has been bent). I did as you suggested and fit the middle tang in various button holes from dress shirts to jackets I have at home and it fit in all of them no problem. The repros I have seen of these gorgets that came out in England during the 80's have a different starburst pattern with wavey lines in them and the mold casting of the roundle aren't as crisp in their detail but I'm sure others have faked them as well. So you are saying the sources claiming the early models have the DRGM hallmark are wrong?

In the later sixties and early seventies in various countries gorgets were reproduced, especially
    in England, but also on orders of some Dutch dealers. In those days it was quite difficult to find
    an original gorget in Europe.
    Many of them were DRGM marked. Amongst these gorgets were SA, the Reichsluftschutzbund,
    Feldgendarmerie and some more. Show me an old source which mentions this hallmark to be
    okay!
    If you believe this SA gorget is orignal then so be it! Not even the starburst is okay!

Mr. Saris is a noted authority and scholar on the 3rd Reich. He has authored many books on various areas of collecting. MANY TIMES, i HAVE gone to him for his opinion and advice. I remember well the flood of fake gorgets that appeared in the early 1970's. I have never had any reason to question his opinion and totally agree with everything he has written about your gorget.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast