Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sa uniform

Article about: Can someone confirm this as an SA uniform and if so identify the unit and rank and perhaps explain the poms hanging from the chest pocket? This pic is of my great grandfather born in Bad Abl

Default Sa uniform

Can someone confirm this as an SA uniform and if so identify the unit and rank and perhaps explain the poms hanging from the chest pocket? This pic is of my great grandfather born in Bad Abling, veteran of the Great War and lived his life in Kolbermoor near Rosenheim as a driver/ security for the owner of the local spinnerei. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sa uniform
    P
    Many

Pictures needed

Pictures are needed for details, but I can answer the bit about the "poms" hanging from the chest pocket:

Bavarian Jäger- and Schützen-Standarten of the SA wore those. It was a carryover from a traditional 19th-century insigne of the Bavarian army's Jäger battalions.

MAP
    ?

This link
    should help you with uploading photos.

Visual Guide to Upload Photos
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Default SA uniform

I am trying this post again. I thank you for the information about the poms on the breast pocket. Can someone confirm this as an SA uniform and if so identify the unit and rank and what we can generally conclude from the uniform. This pic is of my great grandfather born in Bad Abling, veteran of the Great War and lived his life in Kolbermoor near Rosenheim as a driver/ security for the owner of the local spinnerei. Thanks

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images Sa uniform 

need a better picture from the collar-patch for identification.
    The rank one cannot see, as this is on the other side.

It's definitely an SA uniform.

You really should post this in a better resolution, as it is very hard to make out the collar patch, but it looks like it says "5 / GJ 3" to me, which would be for the 5th Sturm of Gebirgsjäger-Standarte 3.

As Wim said, it's not possible to tell his exact rank without seeing the left collar patch. We can only tell from the shoulder board that it's not an officer rank.

The party badge on the tie tells us that he was a member of the NSDAP.

By the way, it's Bad Aibling (not "Abling").

Yes, as HPL2008 says: a description or a close-up from the collar-patch can tell more.
    I think the indication says 5/R.J.3, which was the reserve Standarte from Rosenheim,
    part of the Jägerbrigade 84 (Oberbayern), according to the address-list from November
    1, 1935. It must be 5/R.J.3 as there were no other units there with an indication in
    this form. Nor was there ever a G-unit in that area! After 1936 the unit did not exist
    anymore!

Bad Aibling is near Rosenheim, south of Munich. And that is obvious otherwise the guy
    was not allowed to wear the "poms", referred as "Jägerabzeichen", the color is a
    specific green (jägergrün), the material is wool.
    It was only allowed to be worn at Bavaria, according to the dress-regulation from March 1934.

Sa uniform