Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia

Article about: I am working on it friends. Hope to get it done today or tomorrow, but remind all will be brief!!

Default Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia

I am working on it friends.
    Hope to get it done today or tomorrow, but remind it all will be very brief!!

I will start making the thread, but be patient as it will take a while before
    all is included.
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 07-13-2017 at 02:17 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia
    P
    Many

Stahlhelm – Bund der Frontsoldaten: Führerschulterriemen:

It is my random choice to take the official list from 1931 to show some of these great “insignia” for leading persons for this organization, the special shoulder-belts.
    Believe me it is a joy to deepen out this subject, but I will just do this as brief as possible. I could eventually extend it into a smaller booklet, but enough is enough!
    These shoulder-belts were arranged by the High Command and only available through “Der Stahlhof” (which in some ways was as the RZM for the NSDAP).
    The system was protected by law (gesetzlich geschützt).

Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia Landesführung/Landesführer, also Landesamt/Mitglieder des Stabes
    Bundesführer Franz Seldte, the highest
    leader for the Stahlhelm-organization.
    The man who "sold" the organization
    to the nazis!

Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia "Stahlhelm auf blauem Untergrund", as already mentioned in 1925
    Major a. D. Wäninger, the earliest
    leader for the Bavarian-district. He died
    January 29, 1929 and was succeeded
    by Oberst Ritter von Lenz

First shown is the scedule for the general system for “Der Stahlhelm – Bund der Frontsoldaten”, as published in the 1931 handbook (see note a).
    The piping system and its colors are quite interesting (see “ Führer-Abzeichen”). Not to mention the insignia that should be worn with the belt (see
    Abzeichen auf dem Führertragriemen”). Also shown is a part from a price-list from April 16, 1931. There did not exist only the system for general use,
    but also a system for those from the drivers-organization, the “Reichskraftfahr-Staffel” (RKSt).

Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia the scedule from March 1931. Note the words "Dienstelle" (office), "Tuchunterlage Vorstoss" (piping color for the belt),
    "Träger" (function allowed to wear the colored piping) and "Riemenbreite" (width for the belt. Most often 4.- cm, and 2.0 cm, but twice 3.0 cm)

Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia
    Bundesamt/Bundeskanzler; the second sample if for Gründer 1918

Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia
    Blue, see scedule March 1931: Kameradschaftsführer or Ortsgruppe Führung when more then 200 comrads;
    green, see scedule March 1931: Ortsgruppenführer or deputy (Stellvertreter)

Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia Der Stahlhof, price-list April 1931
    Landesführung/Landesführer with a
    leading function in Jungstahlhelm

Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia
    scedule 1930 Reichskraftfahr-Staffel and drawing of the small symbol. The version with prongs was meant for the
    shoulder-belt.

Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia
    The highest leader for the RKSt., known
    as Reichs-Kraftfahr-Staffelführer, Herzog
    Eduard von Sachsen-Coburg, wearing a
    variation special insignia with his belt. It
    looks as it has a large white or nickel
    backplate!

The first time the system was mentioned was in the “Führer-Handbuch” from April 1, 1926. The various piping colors were mentioned, as well as
    the width for the shoulder-belt. Only the members for the “Bundesführung” did wear a special insignia. Through the years things changed slightly and gradually.
    The handbook from 1927 does not mention yet additional insignia. Every few years the system was noted in the various editions for the “Stahlhelm-Handbuch”.
    In 1929 there were first six special badges. This was shortly thereafter changed into four: the Bundes-star, the sword for “Jungstalhelm”, the
    RKSt-drivers insignia and the oak-leaf for sports/”Wehrsport” (see note b and the scedule for 1931) where then the signal insignia was added
    (”Nachrichten-Kennzeichen”. The number of functions, maybe I can better say this as classes, authorized for the use of the shoulder-belts was extended,
    being 13 now. With the 1931-regulations the number was reduced into 10. One will understand it is quite difficult to exactly identify the period
    of time with photographs.

Jungstahlhelm-insignia, known as Siegfriedschwert with prongs to attach to a shoulder-belt. Further a Truppführer for the SA-Reserve I
    (which was Sthalhelm) and the third is Körner from Bavaria, who was a Jungsta-leader. He is known for the
    wearing of two cuffbands: Ostfriesland and the special Bavarian pattern in white and blue.

Special Nachrichten-form insignia, as worn by Illenberger, the Gau-leader from Hohenlohe. In spite of in-depth
    research and many photographs available, this photograph stated the use of the special signals insignia (which
    was in fact in the same style used during WWI)

The insignia for sports, known as "Wehrsport". The leader does wear this form, as well as the "Siegfriedschwert",
    as an indication for his function as Jungstahlhelmführer

The system was even included with the July 1934 uniform-descriptions: “Die Bundestracht des NS. Deutschen Frontkämpfer-Bundes (Stahlhelm)”,
    but in a varying form. In this regulation it even was told what size Bundes-star had to be used. Instead of two width-sizes for the shoulder-belts there were three
    now, as a width of 3.0 cm was added. The list included nine classes with about 25 functions. With this regulation the swastika was a fact with the shoulder-belt
    insignia, the larger and smaller Bundes-star (“grosser und kleiner Bundesstern”), the earlier mentioned five special insignia from 1929 and 1931 were not
    included anymore and so one must conclude they were abolished (as also were the cuffbands with district-names and traditions-badges). To what extend this actually
    was done is not known, but there will surely have been a period of overlap!

various patterns of stars;a shoulder-belt for the Bundesamt, specifically 2.0 cm wide for Abteilungsleiter.
    Note the thickness for the material: the crimson colored cloth, golden piping, the leather and the small Bundes-star

various patterns of shoulder-belts, as Bundesamt/Abteilungschefs and Bundesamt/Abteilungsleiter.
    Further Gauführung/Gauführer

various and average shoulder-belts with some attached the smaller Bundes-star.
    Note the wearing of a belt with and one without the insignia

Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia

special boxes were available to store the belt and/or shoulder-belt

There were separate systems for the females, as possibly from the “Stahlhelm-Frauenbund”, surely the “Bund Köningin Luise” and the “Scharnhorst –
    Bund deutscher Jungmannen
    ”, but these are not included as these systems were hardly ever mentioned in documentation. As said before: all what is
    shown is described brief and not with all the exact purpose (or names) are being mentioned. The shoulder-belt parts are “Muster”-samples. So, some
    “free activity” of forum-members is asked for, of course when interested!

Bund Köningin Luise

Scharnhorst - Bund der Jungmannen

The information is taken from:
    a) “Stahlhelm-Handbuch”, 4th edition from March 1931. Page 268, which gives the function (Dienstelle), the piping color
    (Tuchunterlage Vorstoss), who was the wearer (Träger) and width for the belt (Riemenbreite);
    b) “Stahlhelm-Handbuch” from November 15, 1927. Pages 229-230, no additional insignia were mentioned; Ibid, 3rd edition
    from March 1, 1929. Page 242, shows the scedule, which in the course of the year was changed. First there were sic insignia and later only four.
    The Bundesdienstflagge and the Landesverband-flag for the Chief-of-Staff;
    c) Preisliste “Der Stahlhof”, Magdeburg from April 16, 1931;
    d) “Stahlhelm-Kraftfahrer-Handbuch” from the 1930 edition. Page 28 (other editions also were available);
    e) “Führer-Handbuch”, edition from April 12, 1925. Page 97. Here it is noted such system had to be a fact for specific reasons of
    recognition during meetings. Page 98 mentions the special insignia: Stahlhelm auf blauem Untergrund;
    f) “Die Bundestracht des NS. Deutschen Frontkämpfer-Bundes (Stahlhelm)”, edition July 1934. Page 11 gives some changes, but
    also the size for the Bundesstern and the abolishing of various insignia;
    g) All material shown in this thread was once part from the old “Stahlhelm-Archiv” and in the possession of the manager/administrator,
    who is a longtime friend of mine since the early 1980’s.

Corrections and/or additional information are welcomed!! It is not easy, as I did not included the lists from other years,
    nor the version for 1934. Note that at that moment the insignia included the swastika......(not with the sword, oakleaf
    Nachrichten version or RKSt.), just the stars!
    Maybe an unknown field of collecting, so start the hunt and learn!

To end this threads some photos with the banners for the Landesverband (Saar and Nordsee) and a very rare
    phoptograph of a Stahlhelm naval-unit during a parade. Also here leaders did wear the special should-belts.

Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 07-13-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Very good work, Wilhelm! This is a subject that much is unknown to most! Thank you for this info and I look forward to what else is shared.

Sydney

Excellent history, documents and photographs, well presented. Regards! Bob

After reading this I am doing what I seem proper: donate some to this forum again.
    This site never stops amazing me with knowledge!!!
    Stig

The subject is unknown to most of the collectors, as is in fact the whole
    organization "Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten". The subject of the
    thread, as well as the organization is heavily put to a low value/undervalued.

It is however most interesting when one knows some of the ins and outs.
    I once planned a book about the organization, its uniforms and insignia,
    flags and so on. I copied thousands of pages and we reproduced hundreds
    and hundreds of photographs. During a removal my photographer of those
    days lost about 750 negatives and never found them back in about 25
    years thereafter. This was the end of my subject, as I did not have the
    mood to start all over again.

Maybe this here is the beginning to get collectors interested in the many
    subjects and the organization!!

The "Alte Garde" insignia, the Stahlhelm Honor Badges was my subject in the US-
    magazine "Military Advisor" from spring 2012. The article had 16 pages.
    At right the second form document for such badge for Nikolaus Pritzen, who joined
    the Bund November 20, 1927 at Kolmannskuppe, which is South-West-Africa, the
    todays Namibia. He held number 22 for the Landesverband Ausland.

The first pattern document for Otto Meyer (photo at right). He was the Landesführer
    for the Ostmark in 1934-1935, He joined the Bund in 1923. He held the badge with
    number 97. He actually received the number with the LV. Niedersachsen, where he
    had been a Gauführer for Bremervörde.

Significant detail: through a Stahlhelm-member I was allowed to photograph from
    Meyer's personal photo-album, which included the cuffband "Gau Süd-West-Afrika"
    Meyer had lived in Namibia.
    I had to return the album during the Stahlhelm-meeting from early October 1988.
    When I returned it, the person said: keep it it is yours. I knew he had denied to
    hand over the album to the Stahlhelm-Archiv. And so I said: I may do with it whatever
    I want?
    He said: yes!. I called for the manager from those days from the archive
    and handed it over to him. He was totally flabbergasted.

Yeah, I know. I could have owned a very rare photo-album and above all an extremely
    rare and special made cuffband. I must have a photograph from the album, along with
    the cuffband and the districts arm-insignia from Meyer, but I cannot find the photo!
    As I made copies from all the album-pages, I found instead a most lousy copy in b/w
    from the cover. But it gives an impression!

Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 07-14-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten: document

Very rare document from November 14, 1935 due to the last meeting of the
    highest Landesverband-leaders, along with Franz Seldte, the Bundesführer.
    At that moment the organization was known as Nat. Soz. Deutscher Frontkämpfer-
    Bund e.V. (Stahlhelm).
    The flags should be rolled and officially send to Magdeburg.
    Note the many signatures.

Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten: Süd-West-Afrika

Here some photos, related to South-West-Africa, where a large
    contignent of Stahlhelm-members was to be found. Namibia
    was an old colony of Germany and many stayed there after WWI.

Kolmannskuppe at SWA, 1929.
    Photographed some Stahlhelm and Jungstahlhelm-leaders

close-up with variation cuffband

Otto Meyer (left) with some of his comrads during a
    trip to Germany for the 10th Reichsfrontsoldatentag,
    held at Munich, early June 1929. Meyer is wearing a
    cuffband

Many districts (Landesverbände) took care and were a
    patron for Stahlhelm-units all over the world. Here the
    list from 1929 from the Stahlhelm-Handbuch

Patron for South-West-Africa was Landesverband Hannover.
    During meetings special signs were visible where guests
    from foreign countries were to be lined up.

First such a sign for SWA for the 10th. Reichsfrontsoldatentag
    at Munich in 1929:

The coming photo is of even more interest. The banner, which is
    an old version, is for Hannover. The white indication says L.V.,
    which is Landesverband SWA. As far as known SWA never
    was upgraded as a Landesverband. But interesting it is!

This material is shown to make you getting more interested in
    the Stahlhelm-organization.

Who is able to help me?
    I am looking for a photograph with Hermann Göring with a Stahlhelm-Diensteintrittsabzeichen,
    the badge we know as honor badge, NOT having a year-number in the lower part.
    I was told he was granted one, but I have never seen it worn by him!
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 08-23-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Default Help Identify Stahlhelm Badge?? REAL/FAKE Whats its for

Recently acquired this set. Could someone please explain the badge on the left? I have searched the net, all I can find is what it translates to, and it is Weimer Republic but not what it is for or why it would say SEPT 70. Is this a Fake?
    All replies greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast