Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange item found at militaria show a while back.

Article about: Nice find Rudy and thanks for explaining how it works guys. Eric

Default Strange item found at militaria show a while back.

I picked this up just to see what it was but did not pay near the asking price. Found out later there is a piece missing but that does not really affect its operation.
    FWIW there was one guy with a booth that swore he had seen one and it was a mapping device. Also it took about 15 minutes after I got home to find out all there is about it.
    Strange item found at militaria show a while back.Strange item found at militaria show a while back.

Rudy
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Strange item found at militaria show a while back.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Strange item found at militaria show a while back.

The picture with my finger is to show that it has a mirror also.
    Strange item found at militaria show a while back.Strange item found at militaria show a while back.Strange item found at militaria show a while back.Strange item found at militaria show a while back.Strange item found at militaria show a while back.Strange item found at militaria show a while back.Strange item found at militaria show a while back.Strange item found at militaria show a while back.

Rudy
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

?

Any chance of seeing the thing instead of the label!!!!!

?

Thats BETTER

?

Very nice ! I would like this I'n my collection !

?

Aircraft direction indicator?

Very interesting item Rudy how do you use it?

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Hi Rudy,

It's a German hiker's compass, here's a bit of info.

Germany (ca. 1930-1940), model FAVORIT / D.R.G.M. (reg. trade mark).
    Folding binocular with sundial. A device shaped like a bottle opener serves to lock in folded position the small spring loaded lenses.
    User's instructions for the sundial-compass: The dial shows the hours of the longest possible summer day in Northern Germany (i.e from 3 in the morning to 10 in the evening) together with the cardinal points. To orientate the compass, one has to rotate the arrow so that the current hour (indicated by a watch) appears in the arrow's fork end. One turns then the compass with the arrow head pointing towards the sun. Example: at noon, the sun is in the South.

Yours appears to be missing one of the spring loaded lenses (you look through them the same as a pair of opera glasses). Nice piece though!

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images Strange item found at militaria show a while back.  Strange item found at militaria show a while back. 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The thing actually works pretty good. Optics are better than I would have expected.
    Strange item found at militaria show a while back.

FOLDING SUNDIAL WITH BINOCULAR

COMBINED INSTRUMENT: COMPASS (based on the sun's position) & BINOCULAR
    Origin: Germany (ca. 1930-1940), model FAVORIT / D.R.G.M. (reg. trade mark).
    Folding binocular with sundial. A device shaped like a bottle opener serves to lock in folded position the small spring loaded lenses.
    User's instructions for the sundial-compass: The dial shows the hours of the longest possible summer day in Northern Germany (i.e from 3 in the morning to 10 in the evening) together with the cardinal points. To orientate the compass, one has to rotate the arrow so that the current hour (indicated by a watch) appears in the arrow's fork end. One turns then the compass with the arrow head pointing towards the sun. Example: at noon, the sun is in the South.
    Like on all other opera glasses (shown in the category OTHER COMPASSES), there is a mirror on the face opposite to the dial.

Rudy
    Frank Zappa

lol ... Seems we crossed our posts Ned. Yes that is the part I mentioned as missing. It was not obvious at the time because nothing appeared broken. It's only held in by two prongs so if that area were to be pried just a little it would have come out. I'd like it complete but I don't do the opera that often.

Rudy
    Frank Zappa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast