Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

UV Light for blacklight test

Article about: Is there any specific type of UV Light I should buy to be able to test German cloth items? I found this light on eBay for under \\$5 but i'm not sure if its the type I need to be able to test

Default UV Light for blacklight test

Is there any specific type of UV Light I should buy to be able to test German cloth items? I found this light on eBay for under $5 but i'm not sure if its the type I need to be able to test cloth items, any info is much appreciated!

UV Light for blacklight test

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement UV Light for blacklight test
    P
    Many

I bought one in the same style, and it works pretty good. I've tested it on newer patches and ww 2 patches and you can see the difference, i.e. the new ones glow, the old ones don't. It hasn't let me down yet.

Awesome, thanks for the info! does this test also work for flags, banners, armbands, etc?

Any man made /artificial threads, cloth will glow under UV, pointing to post 1945 manufacture, however badged uniforms / cloth items that have been washed over the years with modern detergents might also display a 'glow', you need to familiarise and judge the piece as a whole & use the UV light as an aid in establishing the authenticity of a piece.
    Kind regards
    Paul

I haven't tried using it on cloth, just patches. Like Paul said, if something has been washed with modern detergent, it will effect a glow, so I've just used it with patches. I've noticed some that had a glow, but it was different from the glow of a new patch, so I assumed it was from being washed. When you compare more pieces, you can get an idea of what may have been washed as to what is new. Like everything, experience will help you make better decisions.

The fakers also know about UV light and it is no longer proof positive that a piece is period original. They have learned how to make items out of cloth that does not glow. UV works positive only on older fakes. Do your homework and study construction and post an item here if you do not know.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

The German textile industries pioneered synthetic dyes in the 19th century and they were commonly used. The 'black light' test is a collector/dealer fiction to introduce in the 70's to give a false sense of security about things. All it proves is some things glow and has no reliable bearing on authenticity. I have an article about it on PDF if anyone is interested PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a copy. It won't post well in a thread it it's current format.

I did read somewhere (Uniformen-Markt or Schwert und Spaten)
    that one experimented to wash with synthetics in the later 1930's.
    If I find the note, I will post it! I thought it had to do with washing
    for the Heereskleiderkasse or so.

In about 1980 or so a German mayor collector, dealer and above all
    a connoisseur with an enormous knowledge, whom I was visiting for
    research, showed me the nonsense of the UV-light when he took out
    a box with 100% guaranteed original material from the SS.
    He knew where and from whom he got it. It looked as a Christmas tree.
    He also had believed the UV-light story, but since he had seen this, no more!
    In those days he was the most respected person with SS knowledge in
    Germany.

I always had my doubts, as I was told by some employees, that a manufacturer
    in my town, known for his flags, also used synthetics........
    Believe what you believe about all of this about the UV-light, but I think someone
    was clever in the earliest 1970's and gathered an excellent collection of original
    material by the story of the UV-light!
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 05-19-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Are there any other good ways to determine the authenticity of German cloth items? I've stayed away from collecting cloth items, badges, patches, etc because I know there are plenty of reproductions that can be very convincing.

?

Read books, study and share with people here.
    UV light is just a tool. No more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast