Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VW Bettle pin badge-Fallersleben

Article about: I have just bought this and just to share this nice pin, but can anyone give me more info ? Obverse text: Grundsteinlegung Des Volkswagenwerkers Mai 1938 Reverse: Ges Gesch: 'Ges Gesch' is s

Default VW Bettle pin badge-Fallersleben

I have just bought this and just to share this nice pin, but can anyone give me more info ?

Obverse text:
    Grundsteinlegung
    Des Volkswagenwerkers Mai 1938

Reverse:
    Ges Gesch: 'Ges Gesch' is short for 'Gesetzlich geschützt,' which means 'proprietary.' This indicates that there was German patent during WWII. There are also prhaps 2 other stamps I cannot tell on the reverse.

Made of bronze ?

The Model village of Stadt des Kdf-Wagens was created near Fallersleben Lower Saxony in 1938 for the benefit of the workers at the newly built factory. After World War II, it was known as the Volkswagen Type 1, but became more commonly known as the Beetle.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture VW Bettle pin badge-Fallersleben   VW Bettle pin badge-Fallersleben  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement VW Bettle pin badge-Fallersleben
    P
    Many

It's a copy of the 1938 opening of the new VW plant and commemorates the laying of the factory cornerstone, hence it's known as the 'Cornerstone pin' and only around 500 were made to be presented to dignitries and such present at the ceremony. I understand that these were all made from aluminium and there's a pic of one below.

Therefore the original pins were gifts and never sold. The trade mark did not have to be protected because the pin was never meant to be for sale. If you see those words on the back of any cornerstone pin, regardless of how old it looks, or who sold it to you, or how much you paid for it, then it's bogus. That, by far, is the easiest way to tell.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture VW Bettle pin badge-Fallersleben  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I read somewhere that these were made of Bakelite with a Silver wash over them.

Martin

Hello Ned
    If you are correct that it is a copy, then there are quiet a lot of them, If you Google the pin there are a lot of hits: https://www.google.dk/search?q=volks...h=623#imgdii=_

I can find about 3 diffrent stikpins VW, your pic, my pic, and a 3rd type at Third Reich Stickpins and Lapel Insignia

Regards
    John

Quote by mauser98k View Post
    I read somewhere that these were made of Bakelite with a Silver wash over them.

Martin
    That may be right, i've heard of them described as 'plastic' before, so not far off, but they've also been described recently as aluminium as well. Perhaps the lightness of the original badge has caused a little confusion?
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Martin
    My pin has the color as you see it on the Picture, mine has this dark color and is all metal, it looks like bronze ?
    regards
    John

Quote by johnschou View Post
    Hello Ned
    If you are correct that it is a copy, then there are quiet a lot of them, If you Google the pin there are a lot of hits: https://www.google.dk/search?q=volks...h=623#imgdii=_

I can find about 3 diffrent stikpins VW, your pic, my pic, and a 3rd type at Third Reich Stickpins and Lapel Insignia

Regards
    John

Hi John,

Here's four more....All fake.

Also, the fact that the last link is for Snyders Treasures should be enough to give you an inkling that all is not as reliable as a Volkswagen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture VW Bettle pin badge-Fallersleben   VW Bettle pin badge-Fallersleben  

VW Bettle pin badge-Fallersleben   VW Bettle pin badge-Fallersleben  

Thank you, you must know better than me, here is even a shop selling a fake one, It must be for only 12$ and in silver, the pin was never made og silver ?
    Kelleys Military Volkswagen Badge - Silver

John,

Without belabouring the point, every badge on this thread with the exception of the one that I posted in post #2 is a fake. I shall now withdraw from further comment and watch from the sidelines.

Regards, Ned.

Hi Ned
    I am sure you are correct, but perhaps there will come some further explanations, just to be 100% sure that it is a copy.
    Regards
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast