Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Peculiar Unidentified NSDAP Kampfbinde Double gold bands

Article about: Hello All, is this a fantasy piece? The odd legged swastika doesn't look good to me but any more expert opinions would be appreciated All the best Doug Annoyed from this ads?  

Bob Coleman already said it all. What shall I add to his statement?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Peculiar Unidentified NSDAP Kampfbinde Double gold bands
    P
    Many

I would appreciate your input more if you had more to say on your behalf rather than standing on the shoulders of giants.

Bob Coleman's comment are appreciated and I bow to his expert familiarity on the subject matter.
    As I mentioned earlier I ...that is me personally think that the armband is worthy of further research

The armband that started the thread is undoubtedly bad. The construction and material do not represent what a mid-level political leaders armband would look like.
    As for the photo you provided that is of an SA rally where the conformity of armbands ranged from independently made ones to screen printed armbands. Not something that can be particularly used to back up the construction of the piece you provided.

As you mentioned earlier... right.
    I can't give you the "input" you're looking for...

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    The armband that started the thread is undoubtedly bad. The construction and material do not represent what a mid-level political leaders armband would look like.
    As for the photo you provided that is of an SA rally where the conformity of armbands ranged from independently made ones to screen printed armbands. Not something that can be particularly used to back up the construction of the piece you provided.
    Thanks KM,
    your input is appreciated.
    I have been scouring the web for any similar armbands.
    There are a few copyright photos particularly in the Bundesarchiv that show home made armbands in a wide variety of shapes and forms.

The armband that I started the thread with came with a host of other items...see my recent postings. A set of 4 screen printed armbands stamped for Gau Hamburg (I think) A Dutch propaganda card, IAB, Wound Badge, (All listed) plus a wodge of KM items.
    There were more memorabilia bits..Kunst and Kultur mags and stuff I was not interested in.
    As the items came from a single British vet source it seems funny that he should also have this armband as well.

I have never come across any armband that has those double gilt wire stripes down the middle of the band so why would a forger try to replicate something that has not existed? Is it a pure fantasy piece or is it just a 'Tommy Souvenir' knocked up by some early post war entrepreneur try to make a few pfennigs?

The material certainly looks period and the patina on the metal wire bands looks authentic.

In the end after all my research I may come to the conclusion it is some ‘Tommy Souvenir’ or fantasy item.
    Hoiking on board what you and Bob Coleman have said it will no doubt come to that.

All the best
    Doug

Respected and more knowledgeable research has come up with this photo showing the 2 gold striped armband in wear for me.

Peculiar Unidentified NSDAP Kampfbinde Double gold bands

At a glance it looks sloppy work, but this is not uncommon for early armbands at all.
    It is a pity one cannot read the text for the stamp.
    Such type of armband actually existed and is noted in "Das Dienstbuch der NSDAP
    Oesterreich, Hitlerbewegung
    " from the Landesleitung from Austria, dated March 1, 1932.
    The two golden Tresse were noted for:
    Abgeordnete des Reichstags, Nationalrats, Bundesrat oder Landtage 2x 10,0 mm breite
    Goldtressen.

It is possible these braids were added later to a normal armband for use as the above
    mentioned functions. As you hardly ever see such armband, it is difficult to give a 100%
    solution!
    The form is no fantasy, but actually mentioned in a regulation. Note that early armbands
    officially always had to have a stamp. The use of it was forbidden since the later 1930's!

Hello Wilhelm,
    thank you very much for your highly respected input. It is greatly appreciated.

I can confirm that both bands are 10mm wide with a 3mm gap in between.

The only provenance that I can add to the item is that it did come along from a single British Veterans family with a host of other memorabilia that have all proven to be genuine items.

I am hoping to see some pictures of a similar item so that I can compare them with my armband.

Best regards
    Doug

Please note that I never said in my post such a pattern never existed. My concern was with the poor workmanship for such a high ranking armband. I agree with Wim that if the stamp was legible, it might give us further clues. However, I also wonder if such a high rank would have a stamp. The many problems with dealing with early pieces. In hand, it may be a different opinion. Photographs of an item can only tell us so much.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

In regulations there was not any restriction noted for higher or lower
    ranked persons!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast