Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sewn or not? Kampfbindes

Article about: Got a nagging and maybe to some, a silly question..... We all know that the Germans produced a plethora of different types of armbands, from SS, NSDAP, Volksstrum, HJ, Luft Helpers, etc. etc

MAP
    ?

Default Sewn or not? Kampfbindes

Got a nagging and maybe to some, a silly question.....

We all know that the Germans produced a plethora of different types of armbands, from SS, NSDAP, Volksstrum, HJ, Luft Helpers, etc. etc.

But should they all have been sewn on?

I would assume when worn as part of say an SS or NSDAP uniform they were "permanent" so they were sewn or at least "tacked" on with a few stitches.

But what about other types? Or ones that were not always worn? We see some with stamps on them marking them the property of some group, unit, region (or whatever). I would assume these may have been handed out, worn temporarily for an event/assignment/duty and then returned.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sewn or not? Kampfbindes
    P
    Many

Thinking about now, I think my HJ armband was lightly sewn on instead of pinned.

MAP
    ?

I'm sure our Uniform experts here would have an idea.....anyone?

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I have been told many SA/NSKK "brownshirts" the armbands were "tacked" on or lightly stitched along with collar tabs so as to be removed easily when the shirt was washed. So observing a brownshirt with sloppy tack like stitching is not a liability when authenticating for purchase.

As we know, wool mixed with soap & water is not a good thing. Many armbands & collar tabs were wool

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    I have been told many SA/NSKK "brownshirts" the armbands were "tacked" on or lightly stitched along with collar tabs so as to be removed easily when the shirt was washed. So observing a brownshirt with sloppy tack like stitching is not a liability when authenticating for purchase.

As we know, wool mixed with soap & water is not a good thing. Many armbands & collar tabs were wool
    My NSDAP uniform has a "tacked" on armband.

But what about all those "other types" of armbands used just of short term. I would assume they were just tacked or pinned on temporarily.

Quote by MAP View Post
    My NSDAP uniform has a "tacked" on armband.

But what about all those "other types" of armbands used just of short term. I would assume they were just tacked or pinned on temporarily.
    Sorry M. I read you wrong.
    I keep thinking now of "The Dirty Dozen" when they kept changing their armbands from red to blue during the war games. So maybe depending on what article of clothing was being worn would determine if they needed a stitch or two or some form of a pin...or a tight fit which would have needed neither.

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    Sorry M. I read you wrong.
    I keep thinking now of "The Dirty Dozen" when they kept changing their armbands from red to blue during the war games. So maybe depending on what article of clothing was being worn would determine if they needed a stitch or two or some form of a pin...or a tight fit which would have needed neither.
    One reason I ask this is that many of these armbands are so big/wide they would just fall down most peoples arms. So if just used for a day event or duty, they wouldn't have sewn them on but at least held them on with something.

Silly questions...but it always intrigued me.