Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Fake/Repro Parteiabzeichen

Article about: Ladies, Gents Every few days a Party badge is posted for authentication and whether it's an easy-to-spot fake or not, it's a question new collectors and old ask frequently. With this in mind

Quote by Erno View Post
    Interesting that they'd fake a sympathizer badge in the '70s.
    I dont see it like that, because they were more than likely made at different times. The advert where the Dutch badge is found is in a mag. from around 1973, the badge itself just looks right for that time period as well. The sympathy badge is not as old, the base metal is very different and the attachment is also one that we find being used later, also in the USA on small fake badges marked LDO on the reverse usually, also fakes of party badges.

Maybe the same US badge maker just 15-25 years later, or traded/sold dies. We recently saw a huge pile of fake dies for small badges sold at HH, they have always been sold, traded etc, even amongst fakers.

Worth faking anything i guess. Small badges have been a hit since the 70`s. Pretty easy to spot fake though..

What we need to remember is that the faker is not some acne-faced kid who has to go out of his way to make dies, create a fake badge, invest money..... a faker of small badges is a badge maker, plain and simple. A factory or small firm that make medals and badges, and already have all the means to make whatever they want with it costing them nothing except a few hours in man-labor, which they have anyway, workers milling about, occupy them on a stamping machine - after all you are paying them a monthly wage anyway. If the good-ish repro fake small badges today are sold for 10-15USD on websites, then what did they cost wholesale? $3.- each?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake/Repro Parteiabzeichen
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Jo Rivett View Post
    I dont see it like that, because they were more than likely made at different times. The advert where the Dutch badge is found is in a mag. from around 1973, the badge itself just looks right for that time period as well. The sympathy badge is not as old, the base metal is very different and the attachment is also one that we find being used later, also in the USA on small fake badges marked LDO on the reverse usually, also fakes of party badges.

Maybe the same US badge maker just 15-25 years later, or traded/sold dies. We recently saw a huge pile of fake dies for small badges sold at HH, they have always been sold, traded etc, even amongst fakers.

Worth faking anything i guess. Small badges have been a hit since the 70`s. Pretty easy to spot fake though..
    Was 'HH' Hermann Historica? That would be an interesting auction catalog to look through!

Small badges are still a minefield, but at least it's less dangerous at the moment, especially since the fakers like putting RZM marks and ugly pins on everything.

?

What we need to remember is that the faker is not some acne-faced kid who has to go out of his way to make dies, create a fake badge, invest money..... a faker of small badges is a badge maker, plain and simple. A factory or small firm that make medals and badges, and already have all the means to make whatever they want with it costing them nothing except a few hours in man-labor, which they have anyway, workers milling about, occupy them on a stamping machine - after all you are paying them a monthly wage anyway. If the good-ish repro fake small badges today are sold for 10-15USD on websites, then what did they cost wholesale? $3.- each?
    Probably less than that. The cost to the factory is negligible (maybe 25-40 cents per badge), so I'd guess the wholesalers are getting them for around $1 each. It's probably even less for the ones made in foreign countries, although I've heard that Chinese firms are forbidden from producing anything with Nazi imagery. Whether or not they follow that law is the question.

?

Excellent! Thank you. It'd be a miracle if that wasn't sent to Poland or to the Morigi studios.

if it goe's to Nick Morigi he will not put them out as originals,unless he's changed his stance.

Quote by Erno View Post
    ...or to the Morigi studios.
    Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    if it goe's to Nick Morigi .
    It sold for $10`000.- I dont see why a small badge reproduce,r like NM has been for decades, would need to invest $10,000 in partial dies that he could create himself, like he has been doing for the past 40 years. If i was going to rope his name into this, then possibly as the original owner

from his website:
    The items listed in the Third Reich section of both the MAIN CATALOGUE and SPECIALS ITEMS NEWSLETTER are all superb quality pieces. In many cases they are manufactured using original tools, dies and employing 'old time' manufacturing techniques in order to achieve complete accuracy and thus the best quality items currently available.

?

It sold for $10`000.- I dont see why a small badge reproduce,r like NM has been for decades, would need to invest $10,000 in partial dies that he could create himself, like he has been doing for the past 40 years. If i was going to rope his name into this, then possibly as the original owner
    Well, it wouldn't surprise me if people like Morigi would be after the real dies, since everyone who knows what they're doing can spot his fakes by now. He sells the obvious fakes on his website as such, but I don't know whether or not he sells less apparent forgeries as genuine via some other medium besides his website.

Quote by Erno View Post
    Well, it wouldn't surprise me if people like Morigi would be after the real dies, since everyone who knows what they're doing can spot his fakes by now. He sells the obvious fakes on his website as such, but I don't know whether or not he sells less apparent forgeries as genuine via some other medium besides his website.
    Hmm, good question. Does he even need to try to sell as authentic when the fakes sell well enough? Rhetorical. He (or anyone with original dies) can get a blank but what will happen with the enamel? I have 2 Party badges in my collection that I question all the time. There's just one tiny detail in them that catches my eye every time I look and can't quite put a finger on why it looks that way to me. I'll keep looking at it until I figure it out.

And yes, the fakes are that good, look at the stickpin Jo posted, it's amazing looking. With what I know about stickpins (next to nothing) it would fool me. Besides the thin poorish-looking outer border, I don't see anything wrong with it and not sure why it's a fake. Not doubting it, but I don't know.
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    Hmm, good question. Does he even need to try to sell as authentic when the fakes sell well enough? Rhetorical. He (or anyone with original dies) can get a blank but what will happen with the enamel? I have 2 Party badges in my collection that I question all the time. There's just one tiny detail in them that catches my eye every time I look and can't quite put a finger on why it looks that way to me. I'll keep looking at it until I figure it out.

And yes, the fakes are that good, look at the stickpin Jo posted, it's amazing looking. With what I know about stickpins (next to nothing) it would fool me. Besides the thin poorish-looking outer border, I don't see anything wrong with it and not sure why it's a fake. Not doubting it, but I don't know.
    Well, if I had the necessary equipment and lack of morality, I would probably openly make and sell the obvious fakes like the kind we're accustomed to from Morigi, but I would also make better, less obvious reproductions and offer them in 'dribs and drabs' to the collector community.

As for the stick pin, that one is quite frightening! It would fool me, but even more worrying is that it would fool most experienced collectors as well.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast