Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 28 of 119 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 78 ... LastLast

The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.

Article about: Very nice, Sandgroper The circles on the Pfohl badge are interesting and the badge appears to be in fantastic condition. I wonder what caused those circles? Green

?

Default Re: The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.

Here's my only party badge. Never really realized how fantastic these badges are until this thread was started. Now I'll have to keep my eyes open! I took photos in different lighting. If I've posted this badge before, I apologize!

The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.
    P
    Many

Nice photos and badge! Seems to be quite tricky to get the photos just right with the lighting and all--- I just ordered myself a tripod for this and similar purposes..

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Thanks, guys! I think these along with some of the early examples that have been shown here are the best looking ones... that said, they all seem to have something going for them upon closer inspection

Greenhorn:

You're absolutely right about the uneven wear when comparing the actual back of the badge to the pin --- doesn't look like a recent job though.
    On this particular topic, regarding replaced pins, I do have a couple of questions for you guys in the know; were the originally applied pins made out of the same metal as the badges themselves? Just wondering if there was a general rule of thumb or something for this that was applicable between all of these different makers...
    And also; were the pins actually made "in house" by the badge makers or were these sourced from other independent companies? Just a couple of things that would be interesting to know..

Anyway, more to come... I guess? Can't stop now..

add: Noticed just now that there's actually three different variants of the M1/42 badge posted in this thread:

There's mine and sandgroper's which are both sporting the pearl-like effect in the red enamel but have differing RZM's on the back, and then there's STUG III's badge that has a flat red enamel on the front but then again it's sporting the same double circle RZM and pin positioning as mine --- three clearly different variants of the "same" badge, interesting.
    Hi Slados

I have read somewhere before that the larger companies such as Steinhauer & Leuck may have made their own pins and pin plates but that's becuase they made many different award, badges, tinnies etc so it was economical to make pins and plates also. Smaller companies purhased pins/plates from bigger companies by the tens of thousands, so, no they did not make them. This is why you see so little of a variance between pins from numerous Party badge manufacturers. It would be cheaper to purchase, say, 50 thousand pieces at XX price than it would be to buy a machine to make them for just one item the company sold. I hope I made sense

Variances in Party badges, as I am learning along with you, I can say that some companies have more than others. Look at M1/34 Wurster, you can fill a box with the variety of badges from this maker. If you keep a keen eye, you will notice that you can tell early RZM badges from later RZM's, just by the font. It's not fool proof but a very good indicator of time period for a particular manufacturer. One caviat is that you must own two or more from one maker to compare.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Thanks for the info, Greenhorn! Makes sense that the production within most of the smaller firms was focused on the badges themselves and that they simply ordered in the pins from the larger companies. There's SO much more to these membership badges than what initially meets the eye at a glance, one could probably study these for years and even still never really get ones head fully wrapped around the particulars and details of this topic.

I've seen mention of a book or study of these badges in this thread as well, am I right? I'd love to get my hands on something like that if it exists...

add: found this book Amazon.com: N.S.D.A.P. Enamel (9780965854610): Books Good?
    Last edited by slados28; 07-15-2012 at 04:02 PM.

I very much doubt that any of the badge manufacturers actually made any hardware, simply far too costly to have the extra machinery needed. Makes sense that they would have bought large quantities as Green suggested.

Tom

- - Updated - -

Thanks for the info, Greenhorn! Makes sense that the production within most of the smaller firms was focused on the badges themselves and that they simply ordered in the pins from the larger companies. There's SO much more to these membership badges than what initially meets the eye at a glance, one could probably study these for years and even still never really get ones head fully wrapped around the particulars and details of this topic.

I've seen mention of a book or study of these badges in this thread as well, am I right? I'd love to get my hands on something like that if it exists...

add: found this book Amazon.com: N.S.D.A.P. Enamel (9780965854610): Books Good?
    Unfortunately the book has some incorrect info.

Tom

Ok, are there other books on this subject out there?

Ok, are there other books on this subject out there?
    Slados

As Tom mentioned, the book has some errors. But there is some value to it, especially starting out. You get exposed more to this particular field and you will also learn what the errors are so you will not repeat them. Although not perfect, it does relate to my area of interest, therefore I would want it and it sounds like you do too. Unfortunately there are no books solely for the Party badge. There is mention in books but no study has been made in particular.

We are all learning from each other as we go. The more you handle these things, the more you will start to notice and learn. Jo at Parteiabzeichen.com had some reference material but it's not available at this time. I have learned a fair amount from his site.

Sandgroper has a book of interest related to the manufacture of Party badges. He may share if you ask nicely

Green
    Last edited by Greenhorn; 07-06-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Typo errors
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

G'day boys, The two books I have are "German Medal Makers & Their Marks" Vol 1 and 2 both by Mark Woods. They're not bad books, they don't have a huge amount on party badges but they have enough to make me glad I bought them both. You can find them at MW Militaria. Buy Third Reich & Imperial Badges, Medals and Militaria if you're interested. Cheers, Dave.

The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.Hi guys

What a great thread, I have enjoyed reading and looking at the fab badges you have in your collections.

I have collected for years, however mainly British so I am no expert when it comes to German and I have just bought German items over the years that I liked the look of. This being said I am planning to sell all my collection and was wondering if you could look at these for me and say what you think as I do not want to sell someone items that are very bad!!!

Regards and many thanksThe official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

G'day mate,
    I will only offer my opinion on the nsdap party badge and the early Austrian hitlerbewegung badges, unfortunately I don't think either are good. The lettering is completely different in style on the hitlerbewegung badge compared to my example and the spacing of the letters on both badges seems to be quite poor with some letters almost touching and others with a large gap. The uniformity of the letters varies a lot on the first badge also, all three "A"s are quite different to each other. What markings are on the reverse of the hitlerbewegung badge?

Page 28 of 119 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 78 ... LastLast