MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 49 of 119 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 59 99 ... LastLast

The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.

Article about: Very nice, Sandgroper The circles on the Pfohl badge are interesting and the badge appears to be in fantastic condition. I wonder what caused those circles? Green

Default Re: The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.

Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    I think you just confirmed this maker applied black paint to the reverse of his badges.
    Sorry to be a wet blanket, but this never happened. The only thing that was ever applied to party badges after they were finished, i.e: the very last step (by some makers) was to coat them with what is known as enamel fondant. With tinnies and metal badges, a clear varnish known as Zaponlack was used, and on pristine badges can still be observed today.
    (Sometimes on German sites you will see included into the description "Zaponiert" meaning what i have just explained - clear varnish)
    Not all makers did, and in many cases this has worn off over time. On party badges that are in very good condition. you can sometimes actually see this with the naked eye, it looks like sunburn, or as if someone had sprayed clear varnish on the badge and it is now peeling off. Both fondant and zaponlack need to be treated/hardened, and go back into the oven for a quick blast before being packed and shipped.

What you are seeing here though, is down to the base material used by both these makers, which in many cases (with M1/34 predominantly) was alpaca instead of messing. If the badge has been galvanized heavily (galvanisch versilbert is the correct term, or as most of us say "Silver washed") then the look will be the same, a dull black. This is the patina that this particular material has taken on over the years. The same as real silver can go black. It depends on how the item was stored, as well as the base material - or the thickness of the silver coating. But with 100% certainly it has nothing at all to do with black paint!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.
    P
    Many

Under high magnification, the "differences" between patina and paint are very clear. Inset image taken from the same badge as shown here, the black paint example is taken from a black painted messing HJ achievement badge.
    The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.

Nice info, thanks Jo.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Yes Jo, nice info!

That puts it to rest finally. So the base material itself is different, interesting! And speaking of the clear coat/sunburn peeling look....I have wondered what was on some of my badges, glad I don't clean anything off. I wasn't sure what it was but was certain it was original to the badge as several have this look.

Thanks for your information.
    Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Nice to have that one cleared up... yet another thing learned!

Forum

Here are two badges with what appears to be the clear-coat finish to them we are talking about. At first it appeared to be remnants of dirty fingers, possibly from food grease or the like, but now it's known to be a clear-coat. Gladly my items get a cleaning/dusting with a dry detail paint brush and not an actual cleaning. Thanks for the enlightening, Jo, learned a couple new things!

Mark

The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Mark, post 486, no, thats not it, although i see where you are coming from. It looks quite different to that, and is very thin. What this looks like is just residue. In Germany you have to cover the swastika up at public shows/flea markets etc, and many times a round sticker is "stuck onto" the swas. Sometimes if an item doesn't sell in years, the sticker is hard to remove, and leaves behind residue like this.
    What i would do, is take a few cotton buds and normal window cleaner, soak one and rub the face with it, that usually takes care of any residue/dirt on the glass front, does not damage the enamel or patina, and most certainly will not rub off, or damage any fondant - should it still be there. Enamel fondant, and zaponlack are "burnt" onto the item, and wont just rub off, even if you cleaned the face with pure alcohol. (But never use alcohol to clean anyway, use window cleaner.)

Quote by Metallwarenfabrik View Post
    Mark, post 486, no, thats not it, although i see where you are coming from. It looks quite different to that, and is very thin. What this looks like is just residue. In Germany you have to cover the swastika up at public shows/flea markets etc, and many times a round sticker is "stuck onto" the swas. Sometimes if an item doesn't sell in years, the sticker is hard to remove, and leaves behind residue like this.
    What i would do, is take a few cotton buds and normal window cleaner, soak one and rub the face with it, that usually takes care of any residue/dirt on the glass front, does not damage the enamel or patina, and most certainly will not rub off, or damage any fondant - should it still be there. Enamel fondant, and zaponlack are "burnt" onto the item, and wont just rub off, even if you cleaned the face with pure alcohol. (But never use alcohol to clean anyway, use window cleaner.)
    And here I thought these two were finally put to rest. Probably it is just glue residue or BBQ sauce as I once joked to myself. Thanks for your imput. If you have a pic of what you are referring to, perhaps you'll have an opportunity to post it.

Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    If you have a pic of what you are referring to, perhaps you'll have an opportunity to post it.
    Sure Mark, but sorry, no can do.

Hi, I am very new to this area of collecting and also very timid about getting too involved as I have heard and read a lot about the fakes that are circulating. I figured it was time to contribute. Please let me know what you all think? Real, fake? I have my doubts, but the seller was recommended from this site and mistakes do happen. Please pardon the pic quality as I never realized how difficult getting a picture of one of these can be The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.The official, "unofficial", Party badge thread.

Let me know if you can see the pics too.

Page 49 of 119 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 59 99 ... LastLast