MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Rare Sudetenland badge

Article about: Dear friends this bird came across this week....authentic or face , pls your opinion Tom

Default Rare Sudetenland badge

Dear friends

this bird came across this week....authentic or face , pls your opinion

TomRare Sudetenland badgeRare Sudetenland badgeRare Sudetenland badge

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rare Sudetenland badge
    P
    Many

Hi Tom,

These are incredibly rare and expensive, originals going for several thousand dollars, and hence are copied to deceive collectors into paying big bucks for them.Having been fortunate enough to have examined a genuine one of these in hand a few years back, I feel confident in saying this is a copy i'm afraid. The unequivocable problem with this badge is the fact that the Sudetanland Gau colours of black, red and black on the wreath band at the base of the badge between the date numerals, is clearly very crudely painted in, and not glass enamelled as an original would be. It's just not right unfortunately, and there are other concerns in small details including the rear set up.

Here is a genuine piece that happened to be for sale at Weitze's 3 or 4 years back, not the best pic's, but you get the idea. Please note the differences.

Rare Sudetenland badgeRare Sudetenland badge

Seeing as the badge that is the subject of this thread is being advertised for sale in the 'Classifieds' here for $4,000, I think that you may wish to consider withdrawing it, unless or until, you can come up with incontrovertible evidence that it is a genuine piece.

Absit invidia, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I'm with Ned , I once did a quick research on this on the badge as it is a real eyecatcher. The date on your example is way off the date on the example from Weitze site

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

You must admit though Ned and Nick, the Gau Honour Award that Tom has shown is a very good copy and certainly quite different from most of the more commonly encountered fakes of this quite rare and expensive badge.

Sorry Tom, however and in my opinion, the badge is a fake.

The three prime warning signs to myself at least is (1) the lack of jewellers quality enamelling to the representation of the Sudeten Germans flag, (2) the font style used for the date 1938 and (3), the lack of serrations to the reverse of the inner profile wreath.

Regards,

David

The badge that started this thread is of course a reproduction IMO. Originals come up for sale rarely and I can't recall any being sold in the last couple of years.

cheers

Matt
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Gau Ehrenzeichen Collector

Dear Matt

Perhaps there should be a forum diktat towards the necessary and expected attainment of expertise by all of us on this subject, by the compulsory bedtime reading of "Gau Decorations of Hitlers Germany", published by Schiffer Military History.

Fortunately and for myself at least Matt, the weekend in the Middle East starts tonight and perhaps I may be allowed a degree of indulgence, latitude and tolerance.

Regards,

David

Gau Ehrenzeichen is a very specific chapter of our hobby for more than one reason. It is also the one of more unforgiving ones where mistakes are costly, knowledge is superseded by myths and original specimens are like prison furloughs- often discussed and rarely seen. Fortunately for all, the knowledge is out there, available to those that wish to seek it out.
    Having had a chance to examine this kind of badge in person (they are available at SOS and MAX shows from Manfred), I can say that the only thing this one has in common with the original is the general shape of it. Materials, construction, weight and size do not correspond with known originals. In short- everything is off.

I own a copy of the aforementioned book and I must say it is one of my favorite fiction novels.

cheers

Matt
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Gau Ehrenzeichen Collector