Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Two party badges with button hole attachment , original or fakes ??

Article about: Hi , recently I got these two badges with -for me- strange attachments . Doesn't look like the typical button hole attachment . The zinc badge is marked with RZM M1 /14 , at the other one I

?

Default Two party badges with button hole attachment , original or fakes ??

Hi ,

recently I got these two badges with -for me- strange attachments . Doesn't look like the typical button hole attachment .

The zinc badge is marked with RZM M1 /14 , at the other one I only can find the RZM-logo but no manufacture number.

Are these badges original or fakes ??

TIA ,

Pete
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two party badges with button hole attachment , original or fakes  ??   Two party badges with button hole attachment , original or fakes  ??  

Two party badges with button hole attachment , original or fakes  ??   Two party badges with button hole attachment , original or fakes  ??  

Two party badges with button hole attachment , original or fakes  ??   Two party badges with button hole attachment , original or fakes  ??  

Two party badges with button hole attachment , original or fakes  ??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two party badges with button hole attachment , original or fakes  ??
    P
    Many

It looks like the painted badge has had a later added attachment, condition doesn't seem to match, although the solder looks old--- I'm almost inclined to say repainted as well, hard to tell from these photos alone though.

The opaque enameled badge (could very well be a M1/14 too) also looks to have had a replacement attachment added, possibly two rough badge tinkered with bit post-war? Hard to tell, the enameled badge could also IMO pass for a period replacement...

Either way, both relatively common badges so not really worth the "gamble" --- more to be had in better condition out there.

The M1/14 looks like a good example Pete,
    Look at the picture below and you will see that the badge of mine (marked with M1/120) has exactly the same sort of buttonhole attachment.
    The badges that I have pictured were all recovered in a hoard post war at the edge of a lake after being subject to being chucked in a furnace.
    You will note the different attachment styles applied to the zinc badges

This is just a general shot of the conglomeration of badges that came out of the lake but if you note the different buttonhole attachments made from both brass and steel

Doug

?

Doug , I agree with you 100% - all your pictured badges and attchments are original .
    But - the attachments of my posted badges looks different . Both were made from two pieces -the attchment itself from sheet metal and a separate plate which was crimped on the attachment and fixed with the badge .
    If you check my attached pics in the posting , you can see the two pieces attchments on pic #2 and #4 .
    Later today I will post some more pix of buttonhole attachments , IMO original and some I don't like .
    I know the early brass attachments and the later one piece sheet metal attachments , but these two pieces attachments looks suspicious for me . But my 2c.

?

Just a short addition :
    After posting the badges here , I sent the same pix to Jo Rivett and asked for his opinion .
    His fast and short reply was -" I don't like them ". Not more ;-)

Unfortunately I have seen , Jo seems to be banned here . But IMO he is one of THE EXPERTS in party badges .

?

As promised here some more pics of buttonhole attachments. IMO all attachments are original , except the one on the last pic.
    I have marked the part of the attachment , I don't like.
    Unfortunately I don't own this badge , found in in the net and it was for sale. Seems to be the same or very similar attachment , as can be seen on my posted suspicious badges in this post.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two party badges with button hole attachment , original or fakes  ??   Two party badges with button hole attachment , original or fakes  ??  

Hello Pete,
    I think all your badges that are posted above look original.
    The one you show as a reproduction looks to be a perfect match to the one Jo shows on his parteiabzeichen site. Have a look at the shape and construction of the plate on the M1/8 badge.

Jo certainly is the resident expert in most enamel badges.
    I have looked at the pictures of the badges you originally posted again and looking at the enamel of the first one it does look very poor with all the bubbles and heat spots but has exactly the same fitting as the zinc badge and I must admit these are new designs to me.
    I know that M1/14 (Oechsler) did produce an enamel badge with opaque glaze so it could be that this badge has had a later fitting attached and this has caused the enamel to look like it does?
    The zinc badge has been spray painted. Is this an indication that it has either been repainted or is a reproduction?
    I'm at a loss to answer now but I would at least have the zinc one in my collection quite happily.

I believe that the most common reproduction buttonhole attachments are the ones that are applied to the UK manufactured badges and looks more like a half moon shape.
    Have a look at the example below: This is on the back of a DJ badge that I picked up in the 80s so it is beginning to look the part but is a reproduction.

Now knowing that just about everything seems to be reproduced including the lowly zinc party badges I assume it would not take much to produce a different shaped buttonhole attachment with the intent to deceive but there would be hundreds of examples out there and I just don't see them.

Doug

An unmarked badge from my collection. I hope everything is OK with its button hole attachment?

And a RZM M1/8 (Ferdinand Wagner) badge that i just got recently. Button hole attachment looks like exactly the same.