Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What do you think of this

Article about: Hello everyone ,I,ve come across this broach and wondered if it is correct ,the seller says it would be worn by a women,any info would be welcome,Regards Paul.

Thanks for your answer Greenhorn. Your opinions are appreciated. Also thank you for your photos although none of them illustrate or give us another example of the type of hardware I was referring to.
    About your friend: sometimes we get what we dish out. Whether you concentrate on his good or bad qualities, I think we can both agree the man is a gigantic as8hole in the way he treats others. He likes to point out how wrong and little others are. Since you did not object of his ill treatment of others that I could see, it would probably be wise not to object when others respond in kind.
    Have a great weekend everyone!

Matt

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What do you think of this
    P
    Many

Quote by matthew View Post
    Thanks for your answer Greenhorn. Your opinions are appreciated. Also thank you for your photos although none of them illustrate or give us another example of the type of hardware I was referring to.
    About your friend: sometimes we get what we dish out. Whether you concentrate on his good or bad qualities, I think we can both agree the man is a gigantic as8hole in the way he treats others. He likes to point out how wrong and little others are. Since you did not object of his ill treatment of others that I could see, it would probably be wise not to object when others respond in kind.
    Have a great weekend everyone!

Matt
    The illustration was meant to be from the photo that shows a protruding pin. It's not quite as "standout", but a general type of thing.

I concentrate on everybody's good qualities, not just said person. I understand you are not attacking me and likewise to you, Matt. I was simply stating that the man has no voice because he is banned. This response would come from me in defense of anyone who cannot defend himself. Any man should know when he is abrasive and terse and take his punishment, as Jo did just that. If I was a Moderator, I could Object to an offensive action but I am not. I am friends with many folks but don't meddle in their business unless it affects mine. Surely we can agree here.
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Reason why I don't believe in this pin (or rather its hardware) is the same reason I don't believe in HJ Master Shot badges with silver plate under the gilt- that of simple economics.
    Even though I never did much in enamel badges per se, I did (and still do) a fair bit of research into manufacturers and their methods. You see, when making pins, badges and medals is your primary work, your proverbial 9-5, saving a Reichsmark or two, wherever you could was almost a template that everyone back then followed (up until the Chinese started supplying them fairly recently, lol). Whether they made their own wire pinbacks or sourced them out from a sub, they were priced either per piece (carton of say 50.000 for example), bought by weight (for the sake of argument- lets call it 1 kg bags) or in the case of raw materials (wire) it was sold per spool.
    Either way, and since the quantities for most part were rather bigger than those for which the savings would not really make sense, if you were to equip the type hardware on a pin like the one that started this thread (looking at the pic- 20% more than really needed, give or take a few points) you were losing a fair bit of change on a hardware, any way you slice it.
    Yes, I know you and others mentioned the pin does not really matter and others were oversizing their creations. Well, as you probably already realized- not really easy to find another (period original) with the same grossly oversized hardware, is it?
    BTW- the hardware can not be 'probably replaced' and 'original'- it will be one or the other.

One of the best reproductions out there in terms of military badges were those made using original dies (WW1 Air Force pieces). Do you know how they finally were able to tell reproductions from originals? Someone measured the diameter of the wire pins used on the suspected reproductions. It turned out to be a commonly used gauge- non metric.
    There is a reason you never heard that story before now too. Or another about Gahr stickpins..

cheers

Matt

Quote by matthew View Post
    Reason why I don't believe in this pin (or rather its hardware) is the same reason I don't believe in HJ Master Shot badges with silver plate under the gilt- that of simple economics.
    Even though I never did much in enamel badges per se, I did (and still do) a fair bit of research into manufacturers and their methods. You see, when making pins, badges and medals is your primary work, your proverbial 9-5, saving a Reichsmark or two, wherever you could was almost a template that everyone back then followed (up until the Chinese started supplying them fairly recently, lol). Whether they made their own wire pinbacks or sourced them out from a sub, they were priced either per piece (carton of say 50.000 for example), bought by weight (for the sake of argument- lets call it 1 kg bags) or in the case of raw materials (wire) it was sold per spool.
    Either way, and since the quantities for most part were rather bigger than those for which the savings would not really make sense, if you were to equip the type hardware on a pin like the one that started this thread (looking at the pic- 20% more than really needed, give or take a few points) you were losing a fair bit of change on a hardware, any way you slice it.
    Yes, I know you and others mentioned the pin does not really matter and others were oversizing their creations. Well, as you probably already realized- not really easy to find another (period original) with the same grossly oversized hardware, is it?
    BTW- the hardware can not be 'probably replaced' and 'original'- it will be one or the other.

One of the best reproductions out there in terms of military badges were those made using original dies (WW1 Air Force pieces). Do you know how they finally were able to tell reproductions from originals? Someone measured the diameter of the wire pins used on the suspected reproductions. It turned out to be a commonly used gauge- non metric.
    There is a reason you never heard that story before now too. Or another about Gahr stickpins..

cheers

Matt
    No, haven't heard exactly that story but many items are manufactured using original dies and sold today as authentic WW2 items. Some original manufactures are/or have used those dies post war for profit from the collecting community. Not to mention, there were fakes made during the period as well. The OP badge is a supporter/propaganda badge and there are collectors of said items that may have more examples with the exact attachment? Not a concern personally. I was only interested in stating the badges authenticity, not the attachment's. There are rare badges with modern attachments that make the badge no less collectible.

Regarding attachment pins, badge makers bought them by the truck load to offset costs, common knowledge I'd think, or as you said, economics.

Happy collecting!
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    it looks ok,and yes it would be worn by a female.
    I agree, and I would buy this pin in an instant if offered to me.

William Kramer

?

Hello everyone ,I did buy the badge in the end ,the original pics were on the sellers web site ,here,s a couple more which are a touch better .The first one is the badge next to a normal sized party badge to gauge the size ,see what you think ,Regards Paul.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do you think of this   What do you think of this  

What do you think of this   What do you think of this  

What do you think of this  

A nice badge Paul

Tom

?

Thanks Tom

Paul

It looks even better this time around! Congrats! The enamel looks fantastic and the design sparkles. Obviously this badge saw plenty of use and it's still seeing history being made. It's a pretty badge and maybe a lot of females wore it due to the fact but, it has nothing to do with being a badge made and intended for females.

Mark

?

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread it certainly had its moments ,Thanks again Paul.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast