Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1940 issued Orders of the Red Star

Article about: -#7315 Awarded May 13th, 1940, "large, curved MONDVOR" variation, to Junior Commander Ivan Ivanovich Grinin, Tank Commander in the 85th Independent Tank Battalion, 39th Independent

Default 1940 issued Orders of the Red Star

#7249, awarded 1940, a "large, curved MONDVOR" variation. (T.3, V 2.1)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1940 issued Orders of the Red Star   1940 issued Orders of the Red Star  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1940 issued Orders of the Red Star
    P
    Many

Default Re: 1940 issued Orders of the Red Star

#8236, awarded 1940, a "large, curved MONDVOR" variation. (T.3, V 2.1)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1940 issued Orders of the Red Star   1940 issued Orders of the Red Star  

#12107, awarded early to mid 1940. (T.4, V1)

#14570, awarded mid 1940. (T.4, V1)

#17754, awarded mid 1940. (T.4, V1)

Thumbs up Re: 1940 issued Orders of the Red Star

Hello Bill. While I know nothing about these awards, I can only comment on their appearance. They look lovely and the craftsmanship looks to be first rate. What is the precedence for this award? Are there different classes of this decoration? Can you elaborate a bit on the construction and manufactures that produced these pieces? Were they are done as screw backs? Where are the best places to find these types of items? Are they reproduced and faked? Finally, what are the values for WWII Russian awards?

Very nice indeed.
    All the best,
    David

Thank you for your kind words, heergeezer, and yes, their craftmanship is indeed superb. This award was established in 1930, I believe, and was awarded for, "exceptional service in the cause of the defense of the Soviet Union in both war and peace." There are no 1st or 2nd Classes for this award. They are manufactured with the red enamel you see on the obverse, and, I believe, this award used the most enamel of any other Soviet award. I think the base metal is silver. There were, although I am not absolutely certain, two "mints" in Russia that manufactured these awards, one is Moscow, and the other in Leningrad. They were manufactured as screwbacks, although some recipients fashioned home made pinback varieties. There are a number of purveyors of Soviet militaria on the web, and like most awards, there are reproductions and/or altered pieces manufactured to boost the sales price. The value of these and other Soviet awards is quite strong. Orders of the Red Star can be picked up for under $100 for 1980 issue pieces to thousands for some of the earlier, pre-war pieces.

Here are some useful links for you.

Odysseus © -- Soviet Screwback Orders

Îðäåí ÊÐÀÑÍÎÉ ÇÂÅÇÄÛ - 1

The History of the Order of the Red Star, by Michael Riley

The Soviet Military Awards Page. Medals, History and Russia!

There were about two million Red Stars issued.

Last edited by Bill Garvy; 01-03-2008 at 01:11 PM.

?

Hi David
    Usually they were seen with numbers over 2000000 milions. I like them all, it's a nice designed order. Unfortunately soviet awarding system was down after the war and the orders became other statut- for long service, but these really hard combat orders became a shame of long service award.

Hi Bill,
    Once in the village under the Smolensk area ( there was living my grandfather and grandmother) I found totally broken red star ( without soldier plate) Gozznak numbered 63, I clearly remember the number, but probably it was not a diamond eye, because I was only 12 y.o
    If you don't look at this thread, take a look
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/other...ffs-found.html

After the war they where only touched last time by staff officers and a llittle bit "repaired" by the war's hand

Hey Bill!

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but have you got these researched? Most likely awarded for Winter War .

-#17754 Awarded September 13th, 1940 per decree of April 11th, 1940 to Alex Matveyevich Hodyuk for the Finnish Campaign. (T.4, V1)

-#14570 Awarded June 6th, 1940 per decree of March 21st, 1940 to Judas Matveyevich Matveev for the Finnish Campaign. (T.4, V1)

-#12107 Awarded June 29th, 1940 per the decree of February 3rd, 1940 to Boris Nikolayevich Makarov, "understudy" Captain of the icebreaker "Joseph Stalin". (The Icebreaker "Joseph Stalin" freed Icebreaker Sedov on January 18th, 1940 between Greenland and Svalbard.)

Red Stars 7249 & 8236 were traded and never researched. . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast