Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Early Red Star #29124 Real?

Article about: Hello everyone. I have found this early Red Star on bid, and was wondering what you guys thought of it. I couldn’t find any info on this type of Red Star on Soviet-awards.com, so was wonderi

Default Early Red Star #29124 Real?

Hello everyone. I have found this early Red Star on bid, and was wondering what you guys thought of it. I couldn’t find any info on this type of Red Star on Soviet-awards.com, so was wonderinf what you guys thought. Thanks!

Early Red Star #29124 Real?Early Red Star #29124 Real?Early Red Star #29124 Real?Early Red Star #29124 Real?Early Red Star #29124 Real?Early Red Star #29124 Real?Early Red Star #29124 Real?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Red Star #29124 Real?
    P
    Many

Try some own research first. Best and quickest way to learn

http://www.odysseus1.freeyellow.com/odysseus/rs.htm

Current bid $ 2,25

Thanks for the website!

So according to the website, this is a type 4 Var. 3.1, yes? Everything looks good to me, except for the serial number, as the one above seems to be an italic serial number, but on the website, it says that it is supposed to be a “square’’ serial number. What do you think?

For the record, I don't like the example you posted. The enraving resembles #22749, awarded March 31th, 1942 (T.4, V1), but that is where the comparison ends, in my opinion. I am not at all comfortable with it.

Last edited by Bill Garvy; 02-04-2019 at 03:57 PM.

I also don't like the first example posted but that's why I gave the link. Furthermore, the seller sells a few originals of the cheaper medals, the higher end medals are all sold as copies. Maybe much better pics will change my mind. With these pics it is a no for me.

I, and others as well, told PapaStalin1943 a few times over several threads already to quit the Ebay searches and buy some definite originals from respeced dealers first to get familiar with how originals look and feel and to get basic experience. Too many "new" collectors keep searching Ebay for that next big score for cheap money....only to be disappointed after being told an item is in fact a fake. You need to know your stuff when bidding on Ebay because of the huge amount of junk. Plus, you simply can't get an original very low numbered Red Star or a Ushakov or Nakhimov medal for only a few $$. Honest sellers with original medals and orders usually know what they sell and thus know the value too.

From Auke's website (Auke de Vlieger) a beautiful star from the same serial range (check out his research section: excellent reference material!!):

Order of the Red Star nr. 40211 was awarded by Order of the Black Sea Group of Forces of September 30, 1942 to 31- or 32-year-old Private First Class Vasily Danilovich Golotvin (Василий Данилович Голотвин), machine-gun layer in the 3rd Machine-Gun Company, 35th Rifle Regiment, 30th Rifle Division, 56th Army, Black Sea Group of Forces, Trans-Caucasus Front.

For those interested in the star first mentioned in this thread: auction on Ebay ends today and highest bid is on $ 53 now.

Final sale price $ 306,55 / € 271,86. Quite cheap if original. From these pics I would say quite expensive for a fake.