Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

My first Order of the Red Star and Award Booklet #508072

Article about: Hey guys. I just purchased this a few days back on eBay and I was wondering if you could give me your opinions on the badge and booklet regarding its authenticity. It also came with this pho

fdz
    ?

Default My first Order of the Red Star and Award Booklet #508072

Hey guys. I just purchased this a few days back on eBay and I was wondering if you could give me your opinions on the badge and booklet regarding its authenticity. It also came with this photo of the supposed recipient.

My first Order of the Red Star and Award Booklet #508072My first Order of the Red Star and Award Booklet #508072
    My first Order of the Red Star and Award Booklet #508072My first Order of the Red Star and Award Booklet #508072

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first Order of the Red Star and Award Booklet #508072
    P
    Many

Default Re: My first Order of the Red Star and Award Booklet #508072

Hi, all looks fine!

No way of knowing if the photo is of the actual awardee at present though.

Certainly worth futher research.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

fdz
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi, all looks fine!

No way of knowing if the photo is of the actual awardee at present though.

Certainly worth futher research.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks, Ade!

How do you go about researching these awards?

Your Order of the Red Star is authentic, #508072, Moscow Mint, 1944, and possibly awarded March, 1944. Note the dimple, flat edges, and 8mm mint mark. It certainly is a beautiful example.

I can not make out the first line of the Order Book, but he appears to have been awarded this Order of the Red Star, an Order of the Patriotic War in 2nd Class, #114395, a Combat Service Medal, #503142 (?), and another, possibly long-service Order of the Red Star, #3169455.

I have my doubts about the photograph being the recipient inasmuch as he is wearing an Order of the Red Star, an Order of Glory (not listed in the Order Book), a Combat Service Medal, and a Bravery Medal (again not listed in the Order Book).

Could you show the first page of the Order Book? Perhaps it would be possible to decipher his name, I am terrible at deciphering Cyrillic handwriting I must warn you, and extract the relevant documents from the archive (podvignaroda) for you. Research will also verify the veracity of the entries in the Order Book. Once we have this information there is a researcher active on this forum who does excellent work.

fdz
    ?

Quote by Bill Garvy View Post
    Your Order of the Red Star is authentic, #508072, Moscow Mint, 1944, and possibly awarded March, 1944. Note the dimple, flat edges, and 8mm mint mark. It certainly is a beautiful example.

I can not make out the first line of the Order Book, but he appears to have been awarded this Order of the Red Star, an Order of the Patriotic War in 2nd Class, #114395, a Combat Service Medal, #503142 (?), and another, possibly long-service Order of the Red Star, #3169455.

I have my doubts about the photograph being the recipient inasmuch as he is wearing an Order of the Red Star, an Order of Glory (not listed in the Order Book), a Combat Service Medal, and a Bravery Medal (again not listed in the Order Book).

Could you show the first page of the Order Book? Perhaps it would be possible to decipher his name, I am terrible at deciphering Cyrillic handwriting I must warn you, and extract the relevant documents from the archive (podvignaroda) for you. Research will also verify the veracity of the entries in the Order Book.
    Thank you very much, Bill, for your response and offer. Here is the first page of the book:

I think his name is Vladimir Nikolaevich Yartsev, Владимир Николаевич Ярцев. Like I said, I am terrible at deciphering Cyrillic handwriting. . .

I think I found his Red Star Citation and Award List, he is #44 on page 2 of the Award List. His rank is listed as a Senior Lieutenant. Regrettably, I could not find anything on the other awards listed in the Order Book.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first Order of the Red Star and Award Booklet #508072   My first Order of the Red Star and Award Booklet #508072  

My first Order of the Red Star and Award Booklet #508072   My first Order of the Red Star and Award Booklet #508072  

?

Hi mate,

Drop a PM to forum member Auke (de Vlieger). He conducts a research service. He's done two of my ORS and can probably give you a qoute

?

Looking at the pictures in this topic, I must say I have my doubts about this group. The entries in the booklet look rather dubious. They remind me of the style of an infamous Ukrainian forger. The fact that a) the photo is definitely not his (the awards he sports do not match those in the booklet) and b) Bill only found one of his three awards in the database tentatively confirms my feeling. If I were you I would research the Red Star via its serial number to ascertain whether or not the star and booklet (and the citation) really belong together.

You could also research the name 'Yartsev', which is somewhat cheaper, but if the group turns out to be bogus you will end up with useless research.