Order of the Red Star, #158471, 37mm Cannon Gunner, 1st Battery, 147th Independent Machinegun-Artillery Batttalion
Document indicates Order of the Red Star 158.471 was awarded to ethnic Russian Private Fedor Vasilevich Zavarin by Central Front, 64th Army Order 141/N dated 15.2.1943 for “exemplary accomplishment of the Command’s combat missions in the struggle against the German invaders and for displayed valor and courage.” He served as a 37mm cannon gunner (147th Independent Machinegun-Artillery Battalion, 118th Fortified Region), was not a Communist party member, and was born in 1903.
1. Last name, name, and patrionymic: Zavarin, Fedor Vasilevich
2. Rank: Private
3. Duty position: Gunner – 37mm Cannon, 1st Battery, 147th Independent Machinegun-Artillery Battalion, 118th Fortified Region
Recommendation for the Combat Service Medal
4. Born: 1903
5. Nationality: Russian
6. Party membership: n/a
7. Previous combat: since 25th October, 1942 on the Stalingrad Front
8. Wounds or shell-shock: n/a
9. In Red Army: since December, 1941
10. Inducted by: K(?) Regional Military Commissariat, Yaroslav Oblast
11. Previous awards: n/a
12. Home of record: [trans: entry intentionally obscured]
13. Birthplace: Nemedovo village, (?), K(?) Region, Yaroslav Oblast
Short description of personal combat feat or accomplishment
During his tenure in the battalion while in the defense north of the “Mountain Clearing” Collective Farm, Comrade Zavarin acted in a 37mm cannon crew and on 28.11.1943 with a successful aiming destroyed five enemy bunkers and four fascists.
On 10th-11th January, 1943 during our rifle units’ offensive Comrade Zavarin destroyed four enemy bunkers by firing on direct lay, thus supporting the most successful accomplishment of the company and battery command’s combat mission. He is deserving of the Combat Service Medal.
Signed Commander, 147th IMg-ABn, Major Bonatovskii on 6th February, 1943
Endorsed Commandant, 118 Fortified Region, Colonel (?) on 6th February, 1943
Recommended upgrade to Order of the Red Star by Artillery Commander, 64th Army, General-Major of Artillery Petrov on 7th February, 1943
Awarded the Order of the Red Star by 64th Army Order 141/N dated 15.2.1943. Signed Chief of the 64th Army Personnel Directorate, 2nd Section Quartermaster, 2nd Class, Smirnov.
Unit Award Order
[trans: “Central Front” and date “12.8.43” handwritten in pencil]
64th Army Order 141/N dated 15th February, 1943
On behalf of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet USSR, I award the following decorations for exemplary accomplishment of the Command’s missions in the struggle against the German invaders and for having displayed valor and bravery:
The Order of the Red Star to:
7. Private Fedor Vasilevich Zavarin - 37mm Cannon Gunner, 1st Battery, 147th Independent Machinegun-Artillery Batttalion, 118th Fortified Region.
Signed, 64th Army Commander General-Lieutenant Shumilov, Member of the Military Committee Colonel Serdik, and Chief of Staff General-Major Laskin. Compiled by 64th Army Chief of Personnel Major Moshkin and Chief of the Personnel, 2nd Section, Quartermaster, 2nd Class, Smirnov.
Private Fedor Vasilevich Zavarin's Order of the Red Star, #158471.
My thanks to Auke and Paul Schmitt for their invaluable assistance.
10-01-2013 05:54 PM