Order of the Red Star, #2274234, 2nd Ukrainian Front
Abbreviated Award Card
Information indicates ethnic Georgian sapper Private Sandorovich Makhotadze (b.1918) of the 136th Independent Sapper Battalion was awarded the Order of the Red Star #2.274.234 according to 7th Mechanized Rifle Corps Order 029/N dated 3.6.45 for “combat with the German invaders.” He was bestowed the award on 20.2.46 on a document serial-numbered I-356965.
Unit Award Order
7th Novo-Ukrainskii Red Banner Order of Suvorov Mechanized Corps Order 029/N dated 3rd June, 1945
On behalf of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet USSR, I award the following decorations for exemplary accomplishment of the Command’s missions in the struggle against the German invaders and for having displayed valor and bravery:
Order of the Red Star to:
3. Private Ivan Sandrovich Makhotadze – Sapper, 136th Independent Order of Alexander Nevsky Sapper Battalion
Signed Acting Commander, 7th Novo-Ukrainskii Red Banner Order of Suvorov Mechanized Corps, A. Serga and Acting Chief of Staff Lieutenant Colonel Emeldesh
1. Last name, name, and patrionymic: Makhatadze, Ivan Sandorovich
2. Rank: Private
3. Duty position: Sapper – 136th Independent Order of Alexander Nevsky Sapper Battalion
Recommendation for the Combat Service Medal
4. Born: 1918
5. Nationality: Georgian
6. Party membership: n/a
7. Previous combat: North Western Front 1.41[trans: sic(?)], Leningrad Front 3.42, Steppe Front 10.8.43, and since 15.4.45 on the 2nd Ukrainian Front
8. Wounds or shell-shock: seriously wounded 15.1.42, seriously 28.8.42, and lightly 20.8.44
9. In Red Army: since January, 1941
10. Inducted by: Orodcharskii Regional Military Commissariat, Tbilisi Oblast
11. Previous awards: n/a
12. Home of record: [trans: entry intentionally obscured]
Short description of personal combat feat or accomplishment
He displayed labor valor on 3.5.45 while constructing a bridge across the Svratka river near (?)ystritsy*. He accomplished his task at 200%, supporting the forced river crossing of our forces across the water obstacle.
He is being submitted for the Combat Service Medal.
Signed Commander, 136th Independent Order of Alexander Nevsky Sapper Battalion, Guards Major Stadnyk
Endorsed Corps Engineer, 7 Novo-Ukrainskii Red Banner Order of Suvorov Mechanized Corps, Lieutenant Colonel Polatapev on 15th May, 1945
Unendorsed signature block for Commander, 7th Novo-Ukrainskii Red Banner Order of Suvorov Mechanized Corps, Guards General-Major of Tank Forces Katkov
(*Geographic place name is an approximation based off of transliterated Russian from German translated into English. I was informed by a collector colleague that, "the name of the village/region cited is 'Bystritsy' (or 'Bystřice nad Pernštejnem' in full) in Czech Republic. The Svratka river runs around 5-6km East of Bystritsy, in Vysochina region. The German name for that village is 'Bistritz ob Pernstein'," please reference contemporary map below.)
Private Ivan Sandrovich Makhotadze's Order of the Red Star, #2274234, an MZPP variant.
My thanks to Paul Schmitt for his invaluable assistance.
04-26-2013 03:59 PM