Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Order of the Red Star #311916

Article about: Hello, I'm a scale modeler coming back to his hobby after roughly 20 years... Good times assembling a new model kit as a kid at Christmas Now for my models I'm planning display bases with so

Default Order of the Red Star #311916

Hello,

I'm a scale modeler coming back to his hobby after roughly 20 years... Good times assembling a new model kit as a kid at Christmas Now for my models I'm planning display bases with some historical artefacts.

One of them might be this Order of the Red Star:
    - number 311916
    - no screw post base
    - word МОНЕТНЫЙ curved up
    - serial number suggest Autumn 1943 (information from this fantastic forum - #309268 given on 12 July 1943, #322691 given on 15 September 1943)
    - flared star edges

What is your opinion on this one? Original?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Order of the Red Star #311916   Order of the Red Star #311916  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Order of the Red Star #311916
    P
    Many

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    This Order of The Red Star looks very similar to mine and i think it has a good chance of being an original. Mine has a similar serial number although i do not have it to hand to check exactly what it is.
    You can also get the serial number researched - there are members on this forum who will do that for a small fee such as Auke.
    I intend to get my Order of the Red Star and Order of the Patriotic War researched by him.

Be interested in seeing the models too! I also have fond memories of building models as a child - mainly WW2 aircraft.

Nick

Looks good to me. This serial number range should have the curved up makermark as yours indeed but also have the flat edges and not flared edges for this serial range. Date-wise it is from july 1943 - march 1944.
    Looks like the engraver made a mistake and had to re-do the last digit.
    All in all a good badge in my opinion.

?

Hello!
    The star looks good! The last digit is corrected. I think it is a legit correction in the mint, not a fake to fit a document.
    But if you can post larger sharper photos of the number , it would be interesting to look it up closer.
    To determine issue time period for award by its number is not an exact science (one can get really surprised sometimes), but the most likely period is indeed end 1943 - first half 1944.

Yours is an authentic Order of the Red Star. Here is #311597 awarded October 6th, 1943 to Private Ucha Chichikovich Gelovani, Driver of the Commander of the 414th Rifle Division for comparison.

First of all, I'm deeply impressed by your quick response!

Buying this Red Star wasn't completely spontaneous. Being aware of my knowledge limitations in this topic I won the auction with many bidders assuming that not all are so innocent The seller is Ukrainian staying in Poland, selling a lot, having good reviews. But I've also found his nick on the black list of one coin collectors forum. So I became interested in types/variations, didn't know somebody may produce fake copies of not-so-unique orders pretending they are original. If this one looks good then I may consider getting the serial number researched.

@HoundsTooth None of the newest models is finished yet. IS-2 is almost done but now used as a test bed for wearthering. Years ago exhaust strains and gun smoke were considered as "advanced" weathering... Now it's amazing how realistic models can look. As a child I was limited by money, now as 1/72 models feels cheap it's more about time.

@Egorka here comes better photos