Order of the Red Star, #404171, Squad Leader, 161st Rifle Division
Order Booklet B948358
1. Last name: Bogdanov
2. Name and patrionymic: Ivan Kondratevich
3. Rank: Junior Sergeant
4. Gender: Male
5. Birthyear: 1903
6. Birthplace: Kurst Oblast, Yastrabovskii Region, village of Kule
7. Party membership: n/a
8. Education: elementary
9. Nationality: Russian
10. Time in Red Army: 11.1942-8.1944
11. Place of service at awarding: Squad Leader – 161st Rifle Division
12. Place of work at present: Kursk Oblast, Yastrebovskii Region, Kulevskii Selsovet, “Bolshevik” collective farm leader
13. Home address: Kursk Oblast, Yastebovskii Region, village of Kule
Designation/Serial Number/Awarding Organization
Red Star 404.171 161st Rifle Division dated 14th February, 1944
Verified by Yastebovskii Regional Military Commissariat Major Karpenko on 11th December, 1946
Unit Award Order
[trans: “1st Ukrainian Front 15.9.44” and other administrative data written in pencil]
161st Rifle Division, 1st Ukrainian Front Order 05/N dated 21st March, 1945
On behalf of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet USSR, I award the following decorations for exemplary accomplishment of the Command’s missions in the struggle against the German invaders and for having displayed valor and bravery:
Order of the Red Star to:
1. Private Ivan Kondratevich Bogdanov – Squad Leader, 336th Independent Sapper Battalion
Signed 171st Rifle Division Commander Hero of the Soviet Union General-Major Tertyshnii and Chief of Staff Lieutenant Colonel Tishin
3 Printed Copies
1-2 18th Personnel Section
3 In File
1. Last name, name, and patrionymic: Bogdanov, Ivan Kondratevich
2. Rank: Private
3. Duty position: Squad Leader – 336th Independent Sapper Battalion, 161st Rifle Division
Recommendation for the Bravery Medal
4. Born: 1903
5. Nationality: Russian
6. Party membership: n/a
7. Previous combat: since November, 1941 on the Voronezh and 1st Ukrainian Fronts
8. Wounds or shell-shock: wounded
9. In Red Army: since November, 1941
10. Inducted by: Yastrabov Regional Military Commissariat, Kursk Oblast
11. Previous awards: n/a
12. Home of record: [trans: entry intentionally obscured]
Short description of personal combat feat or accomplishment
Comrade Bogdanov was assigned the mission to cover the emplacement of mines on the lead edge of our defense near the village of Vuyna.
Despite the enemy fire he personally laid more than a thousand mines and the mission was accomplished on time.
He has repeatedly set the best examples of accomplishing combat missions.
I am presenting him to be awarded the Bravery Medal.
Signed Commander, 336th Independent Sapper Battalion, Major Lanitskii on 4th February, 1944
Recommended upgrade to Order of the Red Star by Commander, 161st Rifle Division, Hero of the Soviet Union General-Major Tertyshnii on 12th February, 1944
Awarded the Order of the Red Star by 161st Rifle Division Order 07/N dated 14th February. Signed Chief of 161st Rifle Division 4th Section Major Varonin on 14th February, 1944.
Private Ivan Kondratevich Bogdanov's Order of the Red Star, #404171.
My thanks to Auke and Paul Schmitt for their invaluable assistance.
10-20-2013 04:36 PM