Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Order of the Red Star, #475207

Article about: Just got this in the mail today. I'll get this one researched after a couple other orders. Awarded early 1944.

Default Order of the Red Star, #475207

Just got this in the mail today. I'll get this one researched after a couple other orders.

Awarded early 1944.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Order of the Red Star, #475207   Order of the Red Star, #475207  

Last edited by Aleksander P; 03-16-2017 at 05:14 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Order of the Red Star, #475207
    P
    Many

I recently got this researched. Very interesting citation and recipient. Looks like the awardee's plane was shot down on 22.6.1944 over the river Svir, I believe. Makes it even more special since my great-uncle served at the river Svir and his units war diary describes ground-attack aircraft harassing their battalion on that day.

Thanks to Egorka for the research and translation work.

1. Surname, first and middle name: AVDONIN IVAN VASIL’EVICH
    2. Rank: Jr. Sergeant
    3. Position and unit: Senior aerial gunner, 828 Air Assault Regiment
    recommended for order “Red Star”
    4. Birthyear: 1920
    5. Nationality: Russian
    6. Party membership: VLKSM - 1940
    7. Participation in the civil war and other military actions in defence of USSR (where, when): In Patriotic war on Karelian front
    since June 1941

8. Wounds and contusions during the Patriotic war: none
    9. In Red Army service since: since 1940
    10. Drafted by which induction station: Luhansky RVK, Ivanovo region
    11. Previous awards: none
    12. Permanent home address of the prospective awardee or his family: intentionally obscured

I. Brief and specific description of the personal feat or merits:

Comrade AVDONIN has been serving on the fronts of Patriotic war since
    June 1941. In the regiment since February 1943. During this period he mastered
    the weapon system and became proficient in the theory of inflight shooting. He
    showed himself as courageous and steadfast aerial combatant. In the course of
    Patriotic war he conducted 20 successful combat bombing and ground assault
    missions, of which 7 were against enemy airfields. He participated in 6
    engagements against enemy fighters, where he revealed his skill and gallantry,
    having on his account 2 downed enemy planes (one personally and one in a
    group). Comrade AVDONIN especially distinguished himself in the massive strike
    against enemy airfield at Tungozero. on 14.01.1944, where he in a group shot
    down enemy aircraft ME-109. On 02.04.1944 during massive air strike on airfield
    at Tungozero, in uneven struggle against enemy fighter planes, deflected 5 enemy
    attacks on his aircraft. When another pilot Sr.Lt.TSUKANOV was in trouble with
    wounded gunner in the back, comrade AVDONIN rushed to the rescue and
    repelled 2 attacks and personally shot down one FW-190. All the results are
    confirmed by the assault and fighter crews.
    For excellent execution of combat orders in the fight against German
    fascism and exhibited gallantry and courage, comrade AVDONIN is worthy of order
    “Red Star”.

Commander of 828 Assault Air Regiment
    Guards Lieutenant Colonel signature /KRASNOLUTSKY/
    “ 13 ” April 1944

?

Hey!
    Where was your great-uncle stationed when they were harassed by the ground-attack plane?
    The paperwork on AVDONIN might have a small error... It is possible that his plane was shot down on 23/July, not 22nd as in the MIA report. It happened most likely on 23/June.

This man flew with AVDONIN...

Order of the Red Star, #475207Order of the Red Star, #475207

The IL-2 pilot HSU Gregory Ryabushko flew with AVDONIN. But on 23 of June 1944 he did not fly due to wounds. So AVDONIN flew with another pilot. They were shot down by AA near OLONETS and crash landed wounded but alive behind the line. They got separated in the dark during the return trip. The pilot made it back. But AVDONIN was captured and spent in captivity the rest of the war. He lived long life - was awarded OPW I class in April 1985.

I have more on this research...
    Last edited by Egorka; 03-23-2017 at 12:51 PM.

?

And, please, meet Jr. Sergeant AVDONIN (1943).

Quote by Egorka View Post
    Hey!
    Where was your great-uncle stationed when they were harassed by the ground-attack plane?
    The paperwork on AVDONIN might have a small error... It is possible that his plane was shot down on 23/July, not 22nd as in the MIA report. It happened most likely on 23/June.

This man flew with AVDONIN...

Order of the Red Star, #475207Order of the Red Star, #475207

The IL-2 pilot HSU Gregory Ryabushko flew with AVDONIN. But on 23 of June 1944 he did not fly due to wounds. So Avdonenko flew with another pilot. They were shot down by AA near OLONETS and crash landed wounded but alive behind the line. They got separated in the dark during the return trip. The pilot made it back. But AVDONIN was captured and spent in captivity the rest of the war. He lived log life - was awarded OPW I class in April 1985.

I have more on this research...
    Amazing, thank you Igor! This awards story is ideal to me.

My great-uncles battalion was stationed in Uslanka, near Podporozhe. They had to retreat that day. Not exactly close to Olonets, but not far either. I'm happy that Avdonin was able to survive the war and captivity. Did they fly IL-2's?
    Last edited by Aleksander P; 03-23-2017 at 03:21 AM.

And, please, meet Jr. Sergeant AVDONIN (1943).
    5-stars Igor, thank you! It's great to have a face attached to the story. Amazing that he was able to survive, from what I've read, the death rate was high for aerial gunners.

?

They flew IL-2

"IN THE CLATTERING SKYES OF WAR", 1981

828SHASP veterans reunion in 1972.
    I cannot be sure, but I think, AVDONIN is the tall man on the most left.

Anyways, I stop for now, but I have more.
    There is mention of Avdonin in HSU memoirs, more photos, and documents.

?

Quote by Aleksander P View Post
    5-stars Igor, thank you! It's great to have a face attached to the story. Amazing that he was able to survive, from what I've read, the death rate was high for aerial gunners.
    Hej. Agree!
    What about the Finnish POW records? Are they available online? Can AVDONIN' name be found there?

Hej. Agree!
    What about the Finnish POW records? Are they available online? Can AVDONIN' name be found there?
    There should be information concerning Soviet POW's in Finland, but I'm pretty sure that they haven't been digitized. I'll have to ask from the national archives.

I asked from the National Archives and none of the information about Soviet POW's has been digitized, but I'll look into this eventually. Some POW's were used as labor in Finnish farms, my grandmother remembers how they used to have a Russian prisoner working at their farm, so the information should be interesting.
    Last edited by Aleksander P; 03-29-2017 at 05:56 PM.