Order of the Red Star, #56311, Squad Commander, 810th Rifle Regiment, 394th Rifle Division
Order booklet nr. 600792
1. Last name: Gvaramadze
2. First name and patronymic: Georgy Sergeyevich
3. Military rank: Sergeant
4. Sex: Male
5. Year of birth: 1917
6. Place of birth: City of Akhalkalaki
7. Party membership (since which year): Member of the Communist Party since 1943
8. Education: Secondary
9. Nationality: Georgian
10. Since which year in the Red Army: Since May 15, 1937
11. Place of service (name of the unit) and position at the time of the award: Squad commander on the Transcaucasian Front
12. Current place of service and position: Temporarily unemployed
13. Home address of the awardee: Village of Tsakhini, Adigeni Raion
14. Record of all awards received:
Names of the orders and medals/Their numbers/Numbers of the documents/Ground of award
Order of the Red Star 56311 Temporary certificate nr. 146593 Order of the Transcaucasian Front nr. 040/N of November 5th, 1942
Signature of the awardee: [signed]
I confirm the correctness of the data and the signature of the awardee (position and signature):
Military commissar of the Adigeni Raion
Major [signed] /Mamardashvili/
April 19th, 1947
Last name, first name and patronymic: Gvaramadze, Georgy Sergeyevich
Military rank: Sergeant
Position and unit: Squad commander in the 1st Rifle Battalion, 810th Rifle Regiment, 394th Rifle Division
Nominated for: A state award
1. Year of birth: 1917
2. Nationality: Georgian
3. Since when in the Red Army: Since 1938
4. Party affiliation: Not a member
5. Participation in combat (where and when): Participated in the fighting with the Finns in 1940 and the fighting for the Marukha Mountain Pass on October 2nd, 1942
6. Wounds and contusions received: Wounded in the head
7. Awards received previously (for which merits): None
8. Drafted by which military commissariat: Military Commissariat of the Krasny Kolodets Raion, Georgian SSR
9. Permanent home address (of the prospective awardee or his family): 2 Bulvarnaya Street, city of Krasny Kolodets, Kakheti, Georgian SSR
Short, concrete description of his combat feat or merits:
While carrying out the command’s order to capture height 1316, on which a group of Germans was dug in, totaling up to 18 soldiers with mounted and light machine guns and assault rifles, this group of Germans prevented transports with ammunition and food products to reach our units for several days.
Sergeant Gvaramadze, who served with a reconnaissance group of his unit, was the first to break through to the height, killing an enemy machine gunner and subsequently another two soldiers.
The group of Germans rushed about in panic and withdrew to the reverse slope of the height.
Comrade Gvaramadze opened fire on the retreating Germans, and during the firefight he was wounded in his head.
Comrade Gvaramadze had already been nominated for an award on the Finnish front for merit in combat and displayed heroism, but due to the fact that his staff was destroyed, the award documents were lost.
For his self-sacrificing conduct he deserves the Medal for Combat Merit.
Commander of the 810th Rifle Regiment
Major [signed] /Smirnov/
Military commissar of the 810th Rifle Regiment
Senior Political Officer [signed] /Vasilyev/
Chief of staff of the 810th Rifle Regiment
Captain [signed] /Kovalenko/
He deserves to be awarded the Medal for Combat Merit.
Chief of the Marukha Sector Group of Forces
Colonel [signed] /Tronin/
Military commissar of the Marukha Sector Group of Forces
Regimental Commissar [signed] /Buintsev/
He deserves to be awarded the Order of the Red Star.
Commander of the 46th Army
Lieutenant General [signed] /Leselidze/
Member of the Military Council
Member of the Military Council
Brigade Commissar [signed] /Yemelyanov/
October 29, 1942
By Order of the Transcaucasian Front nr. 040/N of November 5, 1942 awarded the Order of the Red Star.
On behalf of the chief of the 3rd Subsection of the Personnel Section of the Transcaucasian Front
Quartermaster-Technician, 1st Grade [signed]
[Pencil: “December 29th, 1942”]
Copy nr. 2
Of the Transcaucasian Front
November 5th, 1942 – Nr. 040/N – Active Army
On behalf of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, for the exemplary accomplishment of combat missions in the struggle with the German invaders and the valor and bravery displayed in the process, I award:
In the 46th Army:
The Order of the Red Star to:
2. Sergeant Georgy Sergeyevich Gvaramadze, Squad Commander in the 810th Rifle Regiment, 394th Rifle Division
Army General [signed] /Tyulenev/
Member of the Military Council of the front
Brigade Commissar [signed] /Yefimov/
Deputy chief of staff of the front
Colonel [signed] /Rozhdestvensky/
Chief of the Personnel Section of the front
Colonel [signed] /Shiryayev/
Sergeant Georgy Sergeyevich Gvaramadze's Order of the Red Star, #56311, will be posted soon, but here's a teaser. . .
10-12-2013 02:13 PM
Always a pleasure to see and read about these.
I have yet to add a screwpost version to my collection.
Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!
Sergeant Georgy Sergeyevich Gvaramadze's Order of the Red Star, #56311.