Order of the Red Star, #969601
Order of the Red Star 969601 to a Lieutenant Stepanov, Party Organizer; think "agitator" or "promoter", not party hats and streamers. He represented the "Party" to the rank and file, and was responsible for identifying and indoctrinating new members, motivating on the battlefield, and so on.
Order Booklet A 206821
1. Last name: Stepanov
2. Name and patrionymic: Pavel Nikolaevich
3. Rank: Lieutenant
4. Gender: Male
5. Birthyear: 1919
6. Birthplace: Vologodskaya Oblast, Kovzhinskii Region, village of Karpovskaya
7. Party membership: since 1942
8. Education: mid-level
9. Nationality: Russian
10. Time in Red Army: since 1939
11. Place of service at awarding: 122nd Artillery Regiment, 44th Rifle Division, 1st Shock Army – Artillery Battalion Party Organizer
12. Place of work at present: 986th Artillery Regiment, 38th Independent Rifle Brigade – Mortar Battalion Party Organizer
13. Home address: Dnepropetrovsk, Rabochaya St. #38
Designation Serial Number Awarding Organization
Red Star 969.601 1st Shock Army dated 25.9.44
Defense of Leningrad Medal Edict dated 22.12.42
Victory over Germany Medal Edict dated 9.5.45
Verified by (?) Artillery Regiment Chief of Staff Lieutenant Colonel Yanko on 29th of August, 1946.
09-16-2011 02:42 PM
Re: Order of the Red Star, 969601
1. Last name, name, and patrionymic: Stepanov, Pavel Nikolaevich
2. Rank: Junior Lieutenant
3. Duty position: Party Organizer – 2nd Battalion, 122nd Artillery Regiment, 44th Chudovskaya Rifle Division
Recommendation for the Order of the Red Star
4. Born: 1919
5. Nationality: Russian
6. Party membership: since 1942
7. Previous combat: since 22.06.41
8. Wounds or shell-shock: n/a
9. Time in Red Army: since October, 1939
10. Inducted by: Kovzhitskii Regional Military Commissariat, Vologoskaya Oblast
11. Previous awards: Defense of Leningrad Medal
12. Home of record: Mother – Fedosiya Pavlovna Stepanovna. Vologodskaya Oblast, Kovzhitskii Region, Semenov Selsovet, Karpovskaya village
Short description of personal combat feat or accomplishment
Comrade Stepanov has proven himself a bold, valorous, and motivated individual – he can always be seen in the front line observation posts and firing positions. By his Bolshevist word and personal example, on 22.07.44 near Shabana he supported the accurate fire of fifth battery, thus destroying an anti-tank gun, suppressing four firing positions, and killing as many as 25 Fritzes.
On 22.7.44, sixth battery was trailing through a swamp and subjected to enemy shelling. Comrade Stepanov organized the soldiers, quickly extricating the battery thus enabling it to fire.
Despite enemy machinegun fire, Comrade Stepanov on 3.08.44 went to the rifle companies, telling the rifleman about the artillerymen’s actions, thus assisting combined arms operations with the infantry. Comrade Stepanov continuously motivates the scouts and communicators to victory and heroism. With his radio set, Communicator-Communist Comrade Titov was one of the first to cross the Velikaya river over the remnants of a destroyed bridge and establish communications with the firing positions.
Near Bor-Velikovo two of the battalion’s scouts captured two Fritzes. Near Kozla scouts and communicators of the fifth and six batteries with their submachineguns repelled two German counterattacks.
I am submitting Comrade Stepanov for the Order of the Red Star.
Signed Commander, 122nd Artillery Regiment, Major Svyatenko on 11th August, 1944
Endorsed Deputy Commander for Political Units, 44th Rifle Division, Lieutenant Colonel Belykh
Endorsed Commander, 44th Rifle Division, Colonel A. Murovenko on 21st August, 1944
Endorsed Commander, 119th Rifle Corps, General-Major Niki(?) and Corps Chief of Political Units Lieutenant Colonel Leontev on 29th August, 1944
Recommended upgrade to Order of the Patriotic War II Class by Chief of the Political Section, 1st Shock Army Colonel I. Spiridonov on 3rd September, 1944
Awarded the Order of the Red Star by 1st Shock Army Order 0320/N dated 25th September, 1944. Signed Army Chief of Personnel, Major of Administrative Services Studentov
NOTE: Recommended for a Red Star initially, upgraded to an OGPWII, and then eventually "downgraded" to this Red Star. You have to love the idiomatic phrasing of these citations!
Re: Order of the Red Star, 969601
Order of the Red Star #969601. . .
Richie, want to see more? Just asking. . .